Fly Tying
Inconnu

Where else has it taken you?

So here is my second and last silly question of the week. Where else has flytying or fishing taken you?

For myself I have started collecting bird skins and rare or unusual feathers. I do my best to make sure they come from domestic or legally harvested sources. I also collect fly pattern stamps and Tragopan stamps as well.

Where has it taken you? :)

I'm buying way too many books on fish, fishing , and fly tying. Currently focusing on books on salt water fly tying, and having a great time.

Bill

ya joe. photos, esspecialy macro. started with flies and then bugs and now just about anything.

Also Knots. i've always liked learning to tie differant knots and there are quite a few neat ones in fly fishing/tying.

Also Knots. i've always liked learning to tie differant knots and there are quite a few neat ones in fly fishing/tying.

knots lead me here chris. i started tying fancy knots and always liked fishing so my parents thought knots and fishing... tying flies and bought me a kit for christmas.

post-7137-1159140414_thumb.jpg

post-7137-1159140454_thumb.jpg

Got me more hooked on books. To date I've accumulated over 300 books on fishing with a heavy emhasis on fly fishing and flytying. And it seems like they just keep publishing more that I want.

Dave

Interesting question. I haven't made a career change because of tying. It didn't have anything to do with meeting my wonderful wife. I haven't won the lottery because of it - BUT I have met the most interesting, nicest folks, and formed treasured friendships. As Martha would say, "that's a good thing".

I've been getting into photographing critters that fish eat. Currently, all my photography has been above water, but I'm hoping to start doing some underwater photography and videography.

Kayaking - started just as a means to fish more water now I enjoy paddling as much as casting.

Sean - I fish out of a kayak more often than a boat myself, first more out of necessity, now I'm finding I really enjoy it.

For all you photographers out there, here are a few links you might find useful:

Fred Miranda (includes a rather snooty forum but filled with info):

Fred Miranda

Photography-on-the-net (great forum, good for beginners through advanced, centered around Canon):

POTN

Here is a gallery of some of my won pics:

mdwsr gallery

I am a veterinarian who is just getting started on flytying. For years, I have wondered what I could do with the lost feathers, large and small, from macaws, cockatoos, conures and others I treat; now I know. Of course there is hair and fur of many kinds. What once was wasted is now recycled.

I do my best to make sure they come from domestic or legally harvested sources.

This is Texas; I figure whatever is dead in the road or in a pasture is fair game for me or the buzzards. If I get there first, all I want it a little hair, fur or feathers; the buzzards and coyotes can have the rest.

Oh yes, like others here, I am collecting books. I have always had a weakness for them, and this hobby has exacerbated that. Bought several books by Lefty Kreh on casting, flyfishing and tying, two by Leeson and Schollmeyer. Both are totally devoted to flys and tying, explaining every step. One has pages divided in half; they can be opened independantly to flies and they methods of tying, about whatever you want. The other is just about total pictures with only small explanations, my kind of book, because it is extremely visual.

IPB Image

IPB Image

All of this is definitely an expensive, fun hobby!

Ray