Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
steelie

Air Travel with your Gear?

Good Day,

I was wondering who has flown with their equipment lately? I am going to fly to Florida in November and I am wondering what you all were allowed to bring on the flight with you do to all the "new" regulations. Years ago I flew with no problem carrying rods, reals, flies and even a tying kit which I sometimes used on long flights... But I am sure some of that has changed now. I prefer to have my equipment with me as the airlines are notorious for losing rods and the like and it would suck not have them. I am considering shipping them via UPS or such, but really would like to take my stuff by hand. What have been your experiences lately?

Steelie

I just traveled from Boston to LA last week and took some stuff to fish the Kern River with Graham. I carried my bamboo rod and reel on the plane. I checked all of my other equipment. I flew with United but it is security that checks the bags and enforces the rules. SOmeone at the terminal told me they had tried to fly a month ago with a graphite rod and were not allowed to bring it on board. I think that basically no one knows exactly what to do so it will be up to the individual airport security group. They will almost always err on the side of being more restrictive.

For fly tying equipment, I would not attempt to bring hooks, bodkins or sissors on board. Also, all liquids and gels are now forbidden from all flights - no flexment, nail polish, etc.

I've got to the point where it is just simply easier to check a bag and be done with it.

cheers,

Michael

Forgot to mention, that my 3 piece boo rod fit inside my duffle bag. I would recommend putting a rod in a larger suitcase or duffle to minimize loss.

cheers,

Michael

have taken my tying stuff abroad many times to ...from south africa to norway, great britain, etc...i carry only the essentials and simplfy my materials list...instead of carrying entire feathers (i tie salmon flies at shows) like bustard and such... i pre cut most of everyting for each fly to be tied...in short i structure what to carry ...as far as bigger stuff like bucktails , i cut a few up into strips so i can carry a few different colors in a small zip lock bag...same with hooks etc..

rods (5 pc) and reels go into larger, hard cased suitcases again...it depends on where i'm traveling to and for how long...

flew to west yellowstone with the same stuff and packed everything into reg suit cases...i WILL NOT pack my stuff into bags that have "abel", "orvis", "patagonia" etc written onto them...kinda like telling them which bags to look into...actually i use my wifes plaid luggage, everything is in them...so i don't worry at all about stuff getting stolen (north jersey upbringing)...although i do run the risk, as everyone else, with "lost" luggage" but i'v been very lucky so far.

how much stuff do you need to carry?

Good Day,

Hey Ted - Not too much will be taken. Two travel rods, three reels, multitip system, flies, leaders, wading boots. I will most likely pack the flies with regular luggage do to the hooks. But I would certainly feel more comfortable taking the rest as carry on, but I will leave room in the luggage just in case I suppose.

Steelie

I fly regularly (nearly 300K in the last 4 years) and have never had any issues bringing my fishing gear. My buddies even travel with their boats, ables ATC's and MasterCrafts. The luggage for me is just normal luggage, though my buddies all use abel, orvis, and fishpond. Fly rod tubes vary from 2 foot tubes for singlerods to large 4 1/2 foot long , 6 rod tubes that look more like luggage. I'll fly with a significant amount of tying gear that I put in a large suitcase all to itself. I always check everything nowadays... it's just easier, and nothing has ever been LOST, but some stuff has taken longer then it's supposed to. Just a bring a good book on the plane is my philosophy (heck, I read War and Peace in it's entirety on flights to and from DC).

Now here are some horror stories that have happened to my buddies, NOT me. And then I'll tell you why I think this things happened afterwards...

Last year my buddies flew from Philadelphia to Salt Lake and then drove to Dutch John, I drove with HomerDog and met them at the Flaming Gorge Lodge. They flew with ALL their gear, 2-3 rods per person with at least as many reels. Wading Equipment. Tying Equipment. Boats, and equipment. Plus clothing. For all that gear, it's a surprising small amount of luggage. A dry bag per person that holds their wading gear and boats, rod tubes, and a single piece of luggage per person for tying equipment and clothing. We do this at least a few times a year for different locations, so the process is pretty smooth. Something happened on last springs Green River trip though. DVDs were missing from luggage. Tying Equipment was routed through and a total mess. Hackles were taken out of their bags and not replaced properly. Hooks were all over the place. Feathers everywhere. A Gore-tex jacket missing and a pair of waders with a slice in them.

WOW! Not a good start to a trip. But thankfully the fly shop at the lodge is well stocked with quality gear and VISA took care of the rest.

Here's what I think happened. Most people don't travel with DynaKing vises finor reels, plus funny feathers and fuzz with fishing hooks... so the kind folks at TSA wanted a look. The gear was packed so tightly that they couldn't get it back in a convientient manner, so not all the gear made it. secondly, what did make it back was shoved and cramed... and ultimately the waders got sliced on something, maybe a pair of tying scissors... who knows.

So why has none of this stuff happened to me? The only thing that I can think of is that my bags are never stuffed and all my tying gear is stored is travel ready plastic bins. Nice and Neat in their own luggage. My rods are always checked if they don't fit in my luggage. And if you really like your rod make sure it's a sturdy case. I travel with rifles on a regular basis too and if you look at my travel fly rod cases and travel rifle cases you'd be shocked at how destroyed they are.

In short. I check ALL of my gear and keep my bags neat and orderly. TSA IS GOING TO GO THROUGH THEM, so make it easy for 'em.

Just my two cents.

bart

One other thing to think about. If you are going to be renting a car and using your car insurance check with your insurance company to see if they cover stolen goods from rental cars. One year over $5k of fishing gear was stolen in the keys when a rental got broken into... luckily the insurance company picked up the tab though.

I just got back from Montana (Hartford,CT to Chicago to Bozeman, MT) and not one person asked what was in the rod tubes I was carrying except the pilot on the Chicago to Bozeman flight. Told me to have a good time fishing. On the return flight from Bozeman to Chicago, the same pilot asked me how was the fishing and what did I catch! (I carried two 4 piece rods in the original rod tubes (non aluminum))

I also saw people that were carrying the long DB Dun rod cases (for 2 piece rods) and people carrying the 4 piece rods in the aluminum tubes in the airports. Dont know if they got on the plane with them or not.

That was the only fly fishing items I took on the plane as carry-on. All of my other gear was in my checked luggage. Why take a chance of bringing it on as carry-on. It only takes one TSA agent with a hair across his butt to think youre gonna strangle someone with a fly line to ruin your trip.

At Gallatin Field in Bozeman, the TSA agents have none of the fancy xray machines that the big airports have (at least at the check in counter), so every bag is opened and physically hand searched (I watched them do a number of them waiting to check in). All my stuff arrived home with me just fine and there was a TSA tag inside stating they searched my luggage.

I did not nor do I take fly tying equipment along on a FISHING trip. Just too much junk to bring along and usually no time to tie flies anyway. The area fly shops have the "HOT" flies and it'll end up I didnt bring the materials to tie them anyway.

Mailing or shipping your gear is also a good way of getting it there safely but allow enough time to get it there.

Best off contacting the airline you plan to travel with, most of them have a website and will return your questions with there policy on fishing equipment with an e-mail.

Good Day,

Hmmm, good food for thought here fellas, thanks! In the age before 9/11 I had no problem taking anything fly fishing related on the planes, even two piece rods and tying equipment. I just asked the flight staff nicely if I could put the rods in their standup closet, fit like a charm. I lived in S.E. Asia from 94-00 and therefore had a lot of time on flights in that region as well as on the trans pacific flights to while away. So out would come my Renzetti Traveler and my materials. I tied flies that would not make too much of a mess. It was always entertaining however as others on the plane always took such great interest in what it was that I was doing! Oh the look on people's faces was priceless! One asked if it was some sort of medical device, another jokingly (I hope!) asked if I was planning on torturing small animals. More often than not they would ask if they could sit and watch. One guy even brought over his kids. Dad sat next to me and the kids were hanging over the seats in front to watch. The flight staff always had fun with it as well. I flew enough so that some flight staff recognized me and asked what I was going to tie on that flight! Oh how our world has changed since then!

I think I am going to take my rods and boots on the plane and all else in luggage. We will only be on Captiva for a week so I am planning on just using a hanging bag for the rest. However, if I have to, the rods can fit in the bag. Now I have to figure out what to do with the girfriend's Ugly Stick that she wants to bring... I am seriously considreing just putting it in a cloth bag for her to carry on.

Steelie

I was tossed of a train and had to get an emergency flight. I had an Ugly Stick with me. The would not let me take it on the plane. They wrapped it up in a plastic bag with tape arround it. It was O.K. when it got there. I sort of had no choice in the matter, but if I did I would of put it in a P.V.C. tube.

A medical device.......... for torturing small animals. Thats funny!!