Fly Tying
DaUP

OUCH

Ouch!

I used to just pinch the barbs down on bigger hooks... not on the size 18 mini-barbs or whatever... but changed that when 10 minutes of a fishing trip was spent disengaging a hook from my son's jacket.

Now I pinch 'em all.

what were you gonna do with the knife?!?!

:hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

pushing it on through and clipping the barb then slide it back out works most times with smaller hooks. Its the streamer hooks that make that method a bit ore painful :o :unsure:

Revived an old topic just because I wanted to use the "Ouch" in the title.  Anyway, this injury has nothing to do with fishing and fish hooks ... it's all about a string, electric weed whacker.  They CAN cut skin!  Just FYI ... I'll try to make some space to the picture, it's a little graphic.  I did this last week, and it looked a bit worse, then.

wound 1.jpg

Ah, that explains the bandage on the back of your leg in the last video. That does leave a question to be answered...How the hell did you manage to string trim the BACK of your leg???

Oh, and yes...OUCH..Sorry!

It's a relatively new trimmer.  My last one was a bump feed ... this one is automatic.  It feeds a little each time you let go of the trigger.  In certain areas of the yard, I'm used to stop and start trimming, bumping the trimmer when I need more line.  With this one, it rapidly starts over feeding.  So, if I have too much line out, and I don't want more, I have to let it run while I hold it up and move things out of the way.  While moving something out of the way, I didn't realize how far the trimmer had swung ... until I felt the pain in my calf.  Most of it is very superficial, and it wasn't bleeding badly, so I kept trimming.  About a minute later, I saw my sock getting red.

It looks worse than it is ... but that area at the top is going to take about 3 weeks to heal, I think.

21 minutes ago, mikechell said:

It feeds a little each time you let go of the trigger.

No way I could use one like that. When I weed whack I constantly am goosing the trigger like feathering the gas in a drift car lol.

Get a bandage over that, looks a bit deep in the one spot 🤢

It's been bandage continuously since it happened.  I've got a couple of picture from last week, just after, and they are a little too ... juicy? ... to put on here.  Pretty gross, actually.

I let it dry a little before taking the above picture, so it wouldn't look so "horror show".  Bandage went on right after the picture.