Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bart

Aquatic worms

Does anyone have any good pictures of aquatic worms? or patterns that imitate them? I've been doing well on tail water fisheries with them and am confuesd as to why I can't find more info on them... maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Helpl me out!

bart

One of the easist worms that you can tye is one that we found on a lake in the Quensel Area of B.C.

It's called a glass worm or some people have called it a ice worm.

To me it kind of looks like one of those clear chinese noodles you get in spring rolls and soups.

Here's how I tye it:

Size 14-18 80250Br Mustad hook

Clear fine Mono tying thread.

Clear midge Liquid Lace

1. Start thread just behind eye of the hook

2. Tye in clear midge Liquid lace and make 3 very tight overlapping wraps to seal in the oil.

3. Laying lace on top of the hook gently stretch it towards the bend of the hook while lashing it down with the mono.

4. Now that you have the lace tyed at the back of the hook above the bend take 3 very tight wraps to pressurize the remaining lace. 1/2 hitch it with your tying thread.

5. With a permanant black marker make 2 small dots on the side of the lace approx. 3/4 of the way towards

the eye of the hook. make sure that these are small dots.

6. Stretch the lace and begin wrapping it up the hook. After the 3rd wrap release tension on the lace and allow it to frelly fall onto the hook as you wrap it. each wrap tightly touching the last and laying in right next to the last.

7. When you get to within 3-4 wraps of the eye really stretch it and take 3 wraps of your thread and whip finish.

This is a very simple and extremely effective fly.

i have seen the worms longears is talking about in one of the local lakes so they arent limited to canada although i am close

The guys who fish the Bow River see alot of these when we check under the rocks etc. A SanJuan worm in a dark red chenille works pretty well. They look pretty much like small earthworms if we are talking about the same thing.

If you to this site you will see many pictures, look for the one that says aquatic worms: http://www.bighornriverlodge.com/AquaticContent.html

That's what I'm talking about. I tye mine with simple colored wire and a simple thread head. I bet some trout mistake mt fly for a worm while other trout mistake it for a nymph. The pattern has treated me well so I'd like to continue to improve it. It's a very simple fly. Maybe that's all that's need.

bart

Bart... go to FAOL and look in the Fly of the Week archives for Drifting Oligochaete Worm. It may be what you're looking for. I think it should be in either the 3rd or 4th quarter of 2003 archives.

Mike