Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
roycestearns

Married Wing Tips

Here's the technical question:

On married wings, how do you get the tips to finish perfect?

Feathers seem to loose their "Velcro" at the tips, more so with goose & swan than with Turkey or Bustard. Some tyers seem to get the tips lined up perfectly, which can be attributed to detail and not letting fibers slip when mounting, but also the tips end as if they are painted (and maybe they are?). A paint brush and saliva or? Do you clip your fuzzy tips off before or after mounting?

Your tips on finishing your tips :dunno:

Sissors make um perfect! The trick is in where you cut relative to what's happening with the material, just nip away the wisps.... do this befor marrying the fibers in with the rest. If we had to have perfect materials not a fly would

be tied. Especially natorias feather for a little clip in great bustard. this isn't due to the tips not marrying but rather broken tips. Evan this can be accomplised to it is difficult to tell any barbering has taken place as long as not to much of the tip is broken. (hope this helps)

i really replied to this thread earlier, but it was a question all on its own, so i just hit my back button....but you answered my question, and royces all in one shot...thanks.

btw, my question did involve certain materials as opposed to others. thanks for bringing this up royce.

As you correctly point out, goose and swan are really bad when it comes to marrying all the way to the tips. I'd make certain the feather is 100% clean and then steam it to see if that will raise the little hooklets. Failing that, use your scissors to trim each barb individually. Don't try to do a 5-6 barb section at one time. The only feather that takes well to this treatment is Florican Bustard.

Hope this helps,

Charlie Vestal

Some careful trimming of the tips and clean materials and hands are the ticket. Especially your hands, I wash mine before marrying and try not to touch anything especially your head and face.

Sign in to follow this