Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tightlines

Curious about steelhead behavior

Im hoping someone could clarify something for me.

Steelhead move into the rivers in the early fall

When they follow the salmon, they tend to gorge on eggs

When there are no other fish running, they eat aquatic insects

When do steelhead mate (early spring)??

Just curious how long steelhead are in the rivers for

If location matters, Im in Ontario, fishing the big head and beaver rivers.

Thanks again

Chris

Good Day,

All good assumptions. I live in Michigan. In our rivers steelhead, depending on water conditions, have been known to start spawning as early as Feruary, although this is not that common. The majority of the spawning occurs in March and AApril with a few straglers hanging on into may. Although a few years ago I came across a spawning pod the first week of june, again, an exception to the rule.

Steelie

Just to add to what Steelie mentioned as well as a couple other things.

Steelhead start moving up the rivers in the fall usually around November being the biggest rush of them. Some do come in sooner though late Sept/early Oct. Once the salmon have died then the steelies will still feed on the ocational lose drifting egg but stonefly and caddis nymphs become the main forage. This fish that come in in the fall will remain in the river all winter. usually wintering over in the slower/deep holes in antisipation of the spring spawn. The spawn is usually mid March-late april with some as late as the first/second week of June. As steelie mentioned though you will sometime see a mateing pair in Feb, but thats not too common.

Skamania. They run most times around July/august and will take normal flies as well as streamers and even crayfish patterns. Thing is not every river gets a run of them, and "most" that do (with the exception of a few rivers) dont really get a big push of them so they are hard to target in most places and are more of a bonus fish.

I've seen some Steelhead in Ontario tribs actually spawning in Dec. I think it's certain strain or something in the stocking method that causes them to spawn then. I think this variety is being encouraged now because they spawn when there's less fishing pressure on the water at this time of year.

Ken B)

I'm on the opposite shore of Ontario....and we get what we call a run of Domestic rainbows that spawn in November and December......then the steelies start entering the stream and stay until spawning in spring,,,,,the domestics look a little different than steelies....I will look to see if I have pics of both

Here are what we call domestic rainbows....all cookie cutter sizes (5-7lbs typically) These two a fairly fresh run, but look at the football type shape....not as streamlined as a steelie (even if they are getting ready to spawn) also notice a more greenish color

IPB Image

IPB Image

I have found that steelhead come and go all winter long, depending on the flow. We have caught darker fish near the mouths of rivers, right along with chromers. I believe it's all about food during fall/winter until the spawning urges take over. If the forage base is in good shape and near-shore they might opt not to run much during the colder months. The same can be said if there's a lack of water in the tribs.

Hit-N-Miss seems to fit the bill.... :lol:

Now this year with our above normal fall precipitation (Michigan) is looking pretty good. Kind of reminds me of 01. What a banner year!

(As to the timing of the spawn, I have also seen fish spawn as early as January and late as the end of June. It's nature's way of protecting the species in case of a catastrophic event during the main spawn. That is something that all critters do)

(As to the timing of the spawn, I have also seen fish spawn as early as January and late as the end of June. It's nature's way of protecting the species in case of a catastrophic event during the main spawn. That is something that all critters do)

Thank god, I don't know if I could handle every woman in the world being (EDITED) at once

I was on the Bighead last Sunday. Steelhead were there, and a few were even spawning. Black or purple woolly buggers were working, which is typical. The float fishermen were doing well with eggs. I think black stoneflies work better in the spring than now. As mentioned, caddis nymphs work well when there is nothing else, as they and stoneflies are always in the river.

On the other hand, Greg, I was on the Salmon River in NY two weeks ago & the fish would only hit stoneflies. Eggs left 'em cold. But they LOVED stoneflies!