Fly Tying

Flies arrived today. Great ties everyone and thanks Nomad for running the swap.

Michael- I use the Chernobyl Ant allover - Millers, Deerfield, Westfield. Really anytime a terrestrial will work, so will this. Don't know why foam flies are so slow to catch on in the east but they don't get used nearly as much as they could.

-Bamboo

Ok, I had a few minutes to take a photo of the flies I received in the swap. I assumed the bee was Slacker's. I've blurred real names and email address to protect the innocent!

A great group of foam flies:

IPB Image

I hope they will arrive on this side of the ocean soon! The picture makes me nervous............

Thanks for posting that picture. Still waiting on mine and can't wait to get to the mailbox this evening.

Oatka, glad your 4.5 year old recognized the bee. I was going bug eyed putting those insects together!

:eek:

Slacker, my friend and I were trying to guess how you made the body of the bee. To me it looks like you made a stack of yellow and black rings, glued them together and cut the back to make it tapered. Is that correct?

I think you'll like the flies you get. They are great!

Oatka,

It is a modified pattern from the Flytyer mag last winter

I did glue the foam together with spray adhesive and then cut them out with a metal tube and a cordless drill. Then had to skewer the foam body with 25 pount test so I could tie it on.

Also had to trim the bodies with a razor blade in places to get it shaped and warm the bodies up with a lighter and mold the bodies.

I couldn't figure out why the mad called for beige foam..... I thought yellow would be better ... then when I heated up the foam the yellow turned darker from the black bleeding. :dunno: Who knew ....

I guess that is why teachers say to follow instructions to the letter and don't ask question! :wallbash:

Slacker

When I was at the pere marquette this year fishing for salmon, I was looking at a bee hive that was hanging over the river. It was actually on a small island in the river at the claybanks. I was thinking to myself that would be a good spot to use a bee imatation next summer. And what do you know, I now have one that I can go from to tie more. Thanks a lot man the bee looked great.

Randy

I've got mine in the mail yesterday! Thanx everyone for joining and Nomad for hosting this one!

Still no flies....

Think I may be the last one to get the flies..... I am chalking it up to the Xmas season. Usually items from the US take 4-5 days to get here.

Hopefully the'll be here by mid next week. Can't wait to see them!

Slacker

Glad they finally made it, I think I could have walked them to you faster!

Ha, across the ocean??? Walking on water with the foam use to tie our flies :D