Fly Tying
rawfish

What do you use instead of lead?

I don't have and don't want to use lead wire for tying for a variety of reasons. What can I use instead and where can I get it...I am working on the Gold ribbed Hare's Ear in Skip Moriss's book and I am trying to figure out what to supplement instead of the lead wire he has....

Also, an alternative intruction I saw for the patter had gold ribbing wire instead of tinsel...whats the differense and does the wire act as a weight (this instruction also had no lead weight...

Finally (Sorry so many questions....) when would I choose to weight this fly and when would I want it unweighted?

Thanks as always....slowly but surely I am figuring this out....

I do use lead, but there are some other options out there. Using wire for your ribbing will add weight and help a fly get down some. For weight on the line there aer other alternatives such as steel shot...it does not get down as quickly as lead, but will work for most types of water.

You can buy non-lead based wire, which is specifically designed and sold to be used like lead wire to weight your fly, although it is not as heavy as regular lead wire. You can make up for the weight difference, if you so desire, by doubling up the non-lead wire in the thorax area of the fly, where it won't be noticed due to the fact this area of the fly is expected to be thicker anyway. I think most fly shops and online retailers carry it.

Wire ribbing in lieu of tinsel will also add weight and I see no reason why you shouldn't use it as a substitute.

-- Mike

For the GRHE I simply use "Gold" (in quotes, you'll notice) wire. Depending on how much weight is desired, I will often wrap, or even double-wrap, the hook shank, then rib the body. Different gauges of wire will also help manage the weight of the fly.

Another common and very suitable alternate is Tungsten wire. It's not quite as dense as lead, but is pretty good, and is at least as malleable, which makes it suitable for wrapping.

I also like to tie GRHE with a gold coloured bead head. Yeah, it's not traditional, but it gets the fly down, and my fish seem to quite like the idea. I will often use this style in the opening couple of weesk of the Trout season when the water is high and fast, an the fly really needs to get "down there".

HTH

Good Day,

For example, Wapsi sells a line of wire that is amazing. Non-lead, various colors and sizes. I highly rcomend it. Then there is copper wire. And even things like tungsten sheeting (if you can find it). Even beads can be substituted depending on the design of the fly.

Steelie

I dont find a plain wire rib adds much weight either. A bead at the head and thorax is another idea. Wrapping the shank with wire, solder, or even plain thread will add some weight. A thin strip of foam wraped tightly will also sink.

I dont add any more weight than a bead head to ANY of my nymphs (baring a few select patterns, of which it is mainly added for bulk, not weight)...you can always add tin split 6-8" from the nymph if you want it to sink faster and you wont need to worry about adding lead to the nymph itself. You can always add weight...you can't make the nymph weigh less. Being a chemist I find nothing wrong using the lead, however (and I use lead split since it is much more dense than the tin). It just doesnt readily dissolve in the water and the only time it could be actually harmful is if the fish swallows it (if you lose the hook it will most likely rust out and fall off...not get ingested). Shotgun pellets will pollute far more than any amount of lead I will ever add to a body of water (even if I dropped all my split I carry on me...)

I have non-lead wire that I assumed was lead when I bought it. Even had the kid washing his hands anytime he used it... right up until he read the sticker on the side that says "non lead".

D'oh!

It works well.