Fly Tying
Graham

Bird Photography

Graham, your pics are just gorgeous. As a beginner I have very high standard to strive for after seeing your photos. In one of your earllier posts you mention that you turned the VR off to save on battery power. Is that Nikon's equivalent of Canon's image stabilization?

Hey flyrod98, Yes, I believe VR and IS is basically identical.

Almost all of the bird shots posted here had VR turned on, only set to off on the last set of pics. I almost always hand hold my camera, except for macro and long exposre scenery shots. I don't think having VR on affected my photos, but it sure increases the battery life before recharging. I'm glad you like the photos, and there are a number of shots I'm looking forward to capturing this summer. At least I'll have fun trying...

that turtle fly is the neatest thing ive ever seen. i wish i could ty something 1/8 as good as that. my woolly bugger dont even look like a woolly....lol

IPB Image

-chris

Hey John and Chris, Thanks, I like the turtle, but was just told by my wife, she doesn't particularly like the shots of it with the Bird of Paradise. lol. That was a first, she usually like my pics. I thought of the idea last night, and took the pics before work this morning.

Anyway, Chris, I really like your plump little yellow crested birdie pic, look's like it left you a message on the floor..lol.. Also looks like it's ready to lay some eggs, really is a cool looking bird.

Graham

post-10010-1174690251_thumb.jpgGraham, you have inspired me with your pictures so I went out into the yard and took a few of my own, for the first time mind you. Here is the best pic out of them all, a Red Cardinal (the state bird here, lol.)

NICE shot Bryan, it's real hard getting the shots where the bird is staring down the lens barrel. Awesome.

I'm off to San Diego for the weekend, family stuff, but bringing my camera and hoping to see some birds...

Have a great weekend,

Graham

Thanks Graham. That pic was just a point, click, and hope to just catch the bird in the picture. Catching the bird starting at me was just a bonus. I can't believe how well it turned out considering I have never done any photography in any kind of artistic manner, lol.

Here are some of my latest attempts with the Canon 70-300mm IS. I'm really going to enjoy learning how to use this lens. The Eurasian Collared Doves have taken over my neighborhood and you hardly see any Mourning Doves around. These birds stayed around all winter, whereas the Mourning Doves migrate. I want to try and catch one of the doves all flared out for a landing. So far I haven't had much luck. It's kind of like shooting clay targets with an 8 power scope on your shotgun. I also want to experiment with the AI Servo mode of the Rebel.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Man Graham, that turtle is sick! :o

The golden crowned kinglet is sure cute Chris. We have ruby crowned kinglets that flock around here in the summer. I'll try and get some shots when it warms up and they show their faces.

Great doves and finches flyrod! Once I would've laughed if someone said 'learn to use a lens', but I know better now. :unsure:

Here are a few shots from this weekend taken with my new Canon 100-400L IS lens, which I have officially fallen in love with. :headbang:

A camp robber:

IPB Image

A boreal chickadee:

IPB Image

A nuthatch:

IPB Image

A kinda neat shot of a nuthatch really working to crack a shell with some serious backlight:

IPB Image

Well, its not a bird shot but I'm a sucker for moon shots so here is one from last night:

IPB Image