Fly Tying
YoungEagle

Hooks for Steelhead Nymphs

As far as brand goes everyone has their own favorites, I like daiichi hooks alot.

You can buy them by the 100pk for $12-14 for most models.

OLB,

if you are tying and selling then you should look into buying by the 1,000 packs. Eagle claw sells some of there hooks by the 1000...

Thanks Sandflyx, but I won't tie with eagle claw hooks(now I sound like a snob :lol: )

You can get Daiichi by the 1000 too, One of the shops I tied for back in MI sold me the materials to tie for them at cost. Well they bought Daiichi by the 1000(maybe 10,000), and I was getting charged about $6 each for the 100 packs I'd need to fill the order. When I saw that the first time(dry fly hooks), I about fell to the floor :bugeyes:

I don't knwo who they ordered through, and they wouldn't say either.

to me all hooks are the same...i've never had any real issues with anyone in 40 years of tyin.....

I usually get all my hooks from gypsyflyrods in E-bay.. he is a great person and has super prices on his hooks.. if you need something special just write him and he can usually come up with something..he sells Dai-Riki... then i was on the other day and saw 180 Dai-Riki hooks size 12 nymph hooks 2x wire with 2 minutes left for.99 cents.. guess who bought them?

Maybe I should clarify. I use Mustad 36890 for most of the Great Lakes Salmon flies I tie. I was wondering what model number(s) you usually use for Steelhead nymphs?

For stone nymphs I like 3XL nymph hooks. The TMC 200R is my favorite hook with that design. The Mustad Signature series has one just like it. I also like to used a 2X heavy scud hook for stones nymphs. Try the TMC 2457(2487 if you don't want the X heavy)

Then for caddis and mayfly nymphs I pretty much stick to the 3XL style of nymph hook

36890 is the main hook I use for salmon in size 4&6....they are to large for Steelhead nymphs though. I tie most of my steelhead nymphs on smaller 12's&14's and tend to use just 1x strong hooks and am not too picky on the brand as long as its ethier daiichi, mustad, or Tiemco.

Eagle claw actually has some pretty decent hooks for egg patterns, but I havent seen anything from them that I liked alot for nymphs yet.

I like to use Mustad small bait hooks size 10 or 8 for steelhead and salmon nymphs. The hooks are a bit offset and the points are turned in a bit so I don't get as many snags or hangups as with normal nymph hooks but they usually they hold better if you do get a hit so you don't lose as many fish.

Ken

Nope not the ticket for nymphs... they are great hooks, but mainly for salmon. For steelhead nympls about the biggest I like is actually a mustad 3906 size 8 Wet fly hook. They work good for nymphs and have alot of strength.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.