Fly Tying
Bamboo

Vests vs. Chest Packs

I have that exact model and use it. The only thing on it i wish was different is the width of the straps. The next model up from that has wider more comfortable shoulder straps.

john

if i am think straight, the next model up costs like 59 or something doesnt it? i looked at that one too, but wasnt impressed with the extra storage capacity. i want something that i can bring a water bottle in and have easy access to it, without having to go with a camel pack or something of the sort.

this one looks nice, and has some nice extra storage for water and raingear (not that i bring it, but just in case)

how many and what size boxes can you fit in it? i bring alot of gear with me (depending on if i am flying or spinning) and would like some room for 2 or 3 boxes of flies/spinners. and is it comfortable to wear for the all day hikes we like to take when wading?

I fit a lot of stuff in mine if i want to.. I tend to only car three fly boxes in it, butthere is room for more. To give you some sort of reference. I can put my Waterproof C f design fly box in the small pocet in the frontof the pack.

John

I started out with a vest, then realized two things:

1. I packed way too much "just in case" stuff. End result is that I only knew the stuff in about 4 pockets. Everything else was a mystery soon forgotten.

2. I never did end up using the "just in case" stuff.

Next move was to the fanny pack. I use the old style of the Patagonia hip/chest pack. I don't rig for the chest because it hinders my stroke. The last thing I need is another reason to blame poor casting on.

Final move was digging out an old Christmas present. The C&F Bonefish Pack. With it, I carry -

- one box with flies (bonefish, trevally, barracuda).

- Pliers with a coil lanyard that attaches to one of the 3 D-rings.

- spool of wire for the 'cuda flies.

- hook sharpener

I carry 4 snack size zip-lock baggies of 40, 20, 12-lb mono and another complete 40/20/12 leader in my shirt breast pocket.

Today's outing called for nothing more, and I used everything except the mono. When I hit a patch of really deep water (up to my arm-pits), the bag easily slipped off to sit in my stripping basket which floated next to my head until I got back up on some coral.

End result is to use what you like and what suits your needs. I do realize that my system is just about useless to the trout fisherman that need everything from split-shot to a stream-side bamboo restoration kit.

Mitch

I don't use a vest anymore either. During the colder months I use the Cabela's Deluxe Chest Vest and during the warmer months I use either my Little Big Horn Fisherman's Bandoleer (Cabela's) or my Safe Passage Waist & Chest Pack Combo

(Orvis) depending on how long I plan I staying out or what the weather is like. I can switch all my gear around in about 7 to 10 minutes between carriers.

I used a vest for fishing for my first 20+ yrs. of fishing and it kept getting more and more gear in it. I would have to have my wife stand on a ladder and guide the crane we used to lift it onto and over my shoulders.

Now I have a waist pack and I love it. I have used it for the last 3 yrs. and wonder how I fished without it before. It is made by JW outfitters. It is okay in holding fly boxes and other items.

I also have a Downs Fly Box which I just got. Many of my friends have them, so I decided to get one and try it. It will hold tons of flies and it has interchangeable compartments (nymphs, streamers, dries, etc.). This can also be worn with my waist pack. I am going to try it this spring.

Hope all this info. helps both of you shopping ladies j_k.gif

i have a JW outfitters chest pack with the flip down work station. i love it. good amount of room. but not too much so you don't carry that "just incase stuff. as someone said. it has a "Y" harness across the back and a ring for my magnetic net holder. so works perfect. had a Fishpond pack before it nice quality but was a neck breaker. had a strap up and over the neck instead of across the shoulders and down onto you back evening out the weight i wore the fishpond about 2 weeks sent it back to sierra trading post and traded it for the JW. i love them they will take anything you are not happy back with regardless. great company but it is hit or miss to get stuff.

I just got the new William Joseph chest gear bag about a month ago, and I am in love with it. I've been a vest man until now. I don't find it limits my movements in any way. It's also very easy to carry in terms of back/shoulder strain. It carries everything that was in my vest, so I have no complaints about limitations in that regard either. It also has a nifty tippet dispenser on the front that organizes and dispenses 5 different sizes of tippet on demand. Pretty slick. I pack snacks, first aid kit, and water on my back...and yes...I have to take it off to get to them. That doesn't bother me. I take breaks when wade fishing.

user posted image