Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tightlines

Material for woven bodies

over a year ago I recieved a realistic black stonefly nymph as part of a swap. I have been able to duplicate the design for the exception of the woven body. For the body I have tried slon, scud backing and floss and still have not recieved the desired look. Im curious what other tyers have used for woven bodies??

Thanks

I think what you are looking for is a product called bug wrap. Unfortunately, the company no longer makes it.. Lucky for you I bought the ramainder of their stock of bug wrap, I could sell you some if you wish.

john

The baby bug wrap is different. FTD lost the supplier of the original, the stuff that weaves real well. The baby stuff is more like spanflex or rubber legs. Tightlines, was the stone you got in the swap from wickedcarpenter? If so, it was the original bug wrap.

john

I think what you use for the weaving material is only limited by lack of imagination.

Woven patterns can be tie using chenille, larva lace, floss, embroidery threads, yarns, zlons, flexi-floss, spanflex, wires etc etc etc. Then there is the combination of materials.

I tied it up again this morning with floss and its comparable, its not like I need it to be exact.

I think that stone was from wickedcarpenter.

I removed the tag quite some time ago.