Fly Tying
Alex C.

Camera reccomendations for a Poor Bastard!

i love my dads old Pentax SLR great camera and the photo's are amazing now getting them on a computer can be a pain but the pictures are amazing

Well I'm kind of torn here. I really like the Pentax Optio W20 for it's portability, it's under $300, and the fact that I could take underwater pictures is a big bonus. But I also really like the Cannon Digital Rebel XT since it's smaller than other digital SLR cameras, and once I learned to harness it's power I could conquer the world :lol: But a little over twice as much. Well I've got lots of time to think about it while I fill up my piggy bank, maybe I'll get the Optio first to get me by for a while while I save for the other one. Or maybe I'll just let my current camera get me by till I have enough for the Rebel, decisions, decisions.

Anyways, thanks for the help, I'm sure I'll need to hit you guys up for knowledge again soon :D

Alex, if you can swing it, a pocket-size point-and-shoot digital would make a good companion to whatever SLR you choose. My Nikon L3 cost less than $200 and I can stick it in a ziplock bag and take it places I wouldn't dare bring my SLR. It isn't designed to make exhibition prints, but for run-of-the-mill fishing pix, it works better than I would have expected.

Hey OLB, I know what you mean. For years I was happy with my little point and shoot Sony. About one year ago I fished for the big upstate NY brownies with Nick Pujic, photo editor of Canadian Flyfisher magazine, and he used an 8mp SLR Rebel, with different lenses, and when he sent me a CD with his pic's, the quality difference was amazing. I just had to get an SLR, have been practicing, and have 3 weeks left until this years NY trip...

Hey Alex,

For an DSLR, I would choose either Canon or Nikon, because you will start collecting lenses, and the glass made by both of these companies is great. Someday you might consider a newer camera, and being able to use your existing glass is important.

Graham

Thanks Graham, after I posted that question I went and compared the 2 side by side and there were a few key areas where I'd have to sacrafice if I went to the Olympus. Been doing a ton of reading on cameras the past few days just trying to learn what I should look for and the more I learn, the more I want the Rebel

As a fan of (D)SLRs, in no way would I suggest that the point-and-shoots like the W10/W20 can compete with the ultimate photo quality of the SLRs. I can be pretty critical when it comes to picture quality. The difference shows up even more when making paper prints of 8x10 or larger.

That said, the photos that come out of my Pentax W10 point-and-shoot are remarkably good under a surprisingly wide range of conditions. Much better than my older generation digital point-and-shoot Nikon.

If portability and waterproofness are a major factor (and waterproofness was a big deal to me), do yourself a favor and at least take the W10/W20 for a test drive, and if you can, get the salesperson to allow you to display the photos on a real size computer monitor, if not actually make a decent sized print. Some shops will even let you run off an actual paper print (which is something you can't do buying online.) You may just be surprised how good it really is. I know I was!

How come nobody's mentioned the Olympus mju740 series of waterproof/shockproof cameras? I have been tossing up between one of these and a Pentax w20, just not sure which way to go, but the Olympus looks good on features in comparison. Comments?

Also, I am wondering if anybody has an opinion on the w10 Vs w20... One camera site I visited has suggested that the w10 has better reviews but I don't know why.

Would appreciate your views.

I have had good luck with my kodak p850. Only cost $259 on the web. 5.1 mp, 12x optical zoom, and I am not sure of the digital zoom. Works well for me the have some different lens attachments for around $150 a piece (ie... wide angle and telephoto)

You get time check it out.

JIM