Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
rawfish

How do you store your flies

I use big Shimano or Plano boxes from Walmart to store all my flies, and then have a few vest sized boxes that I load up from those bigger boxes to take out on the water. That being said I do have more than a few of the expensive little guys too...they just seem to accumulate over time :dunno:

You could try a chest box....Richardson or Downs. I had a three drawer Richardson a while back that I retrofitted with a drop down wheatley as a fourth tray. The Downs is less expensive. I currently use a Hatch chest box that I customized with ripple foam for some of the drawers and I bought C and F threaders that I plan to retrofit into it somehow.....my close up sight is going a little so I think I'm going to start carrying some of the smaller flies I use all the time prethreaded.

I've notice a few smaller chest packs that are basically big pieces of drop down ripple foam...I forgot the brand but it wasn't one of the expensive ones like W Joseph.

Hope that helps,

Hot Tuna

PS I still wear a vest for extra boxes and all my other junk along with the chest box.

Rawfish - Depending on what type of fly , I do about the same as Redwing.

But if your looking for a short term idea, go to the BIG W :hyst: and get some of that foam poster board and cut strips about a inch wide, then just push the hook into foam thats exposed on the sides. It was a easy way I came up with to give some flies to a buddy . B)

Good Day,

I am with Red Wings. These type of boxes are also often on sale at the big box craft stores like Hobby Lobby. After a quick count, I have about 17 of these boxes. Not all have flies. Three are for thread and wire, one for beads, one for dumbell eyes, etc. Very handy to have around.

Steelie

Styerene bead boxes at craft shop. They hold 18 compartments each 1 x 1 inch, and about 1 inch deep. I have about a dozen. Only bad news is the hinges sometimes snap. A little duct tape ...

A basic plastic fly box, one side ripple, one side flat foam with dimensions of about 1x4x8 usually cost about $8 or $10 bucks, which to me isnt that expensive or small. For my featherwings, which us Mainers fish almost exclusively in the spring, I have some specialty boxes that are the size of a briefcase made by Bonnand and hold about 20 dozen #2 streamers each which I carry all my smelt patterns in while fishing from a boat. Follow the link to see one. Duane http://www.anglersportgroup.com/products_d...mp;SubCat2ID=18

I used to use Plano boxes to store flies, but found that once they went in they usually never came out. Right now I've got 7 Bugger Barns, and will probably keep getting them as often as I can afford to. Seems like as I get more of them they get more specialized. Eventually I will have a bugger barn just for each type of fly that is going into it(eggs, buggers, dries, nymphs, etc) What doesn't fit in them, gets given away, or thrown away.

My flies either just sit a top the mantlepiece :hyst:

or go straight into my fly box until i need them for fishing. i tend not to tie a vast amount of each fly, so i don't end up with massively over cramjmed fly boxes. Those Cand F design fly boxes are the best though for good organisation in my opinion. :P

Chris

Hi Rawfish,

most of my flies are tied on size 8-20 hooks and come close season Sept - Feb I tend to get rid of the flies that have seen better days or just haven't worked so well.

So with that in mind and the new age of DVD upon us I have 3 old video boxes that I lined with close cell foam that I use to store my flies.One for the River flies, one for Lakes flies and one that contains flies adaptable for both situations.Then come fishing just transfer the required flies for that day.

Hope this is of help.Have fun. ;)

Mike .S

I use the plano 3700 boxes. you can get em individually at places like walmart and craft stores. And you can also get the tackle boxes with them, where you get a case to store them in and about 4 cases as well. They're great!! You can divide the compartments as large as you need them, and they can store a very huge amount of flies. So far one box has filled 5 fly boxes for the vest :bugeyes: They are great for all your smaller tying supplies as well.

I have several boxes that i carry in my vest that i keep full.

For storing my extra flies i do two things. The first is that i use large rectangular tins that we get from Williams-Sonoma with chocolate in them (although any tin can of teh right size/shape will work) after i eat the chocolate i clean them out and buy replacement ripple foam pads and put them in the tins. These are too large to carry on stream but work great on my desk.

For the second option i bought two drawers ($2 each) that were originally used for storage of off-set printing stamps. I bought some lexan to use as lids but i havent gotten any hinges yet so for now they sit open in the drawer and i just toss flies into open compartments.

When i get home I will snap a few pics and post them.

After I have tied a fly I put mine in a small orvis container you get when you buy flys from their shops, then they go into my 1st stage of fly box, a box full of all sorts of flys, then once a week I take out my fishing jacket and put the flys in the respective boxes. I keep one box full of 5-6 of each pattern I use the most. I ususlly have about 5 boxes when I'm fishing, then in the car another 5.

I used to use Plano boxes to store flies, but found that once they went in they usually never came out. Right now I've got 7 Bugger Barns, and will probably keep getting them as often as I can afford to. Seems like as I get more of them they get more specialized. Eventually I will have a bugger barn just for each type of fly that is going into it(eggs, buggers, dries, nymphs, etc) What doesn't fit in them, gets given away, or thrown away.

I will have bugger barns for 16.00 ea soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!