Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fcflyguy

Hair wings

I want to up some hair wings(2 fish with) but I do not have any samlon hooks that are small enough

was going to use some #8 straight eye streamer hooks :dunno:

what do think?

FC

I guess it all depends on the type of hook you feel comfortable with. In some parts of Newfoundland the Mustad 9671 or 9672 are the preferred hooks for wet flies. There are a lot of folks who like to tie their hairwing salmon flies on Mustad 3906 or 3399 hooks.

I get lots of requests for hairwing salmon flies on Mustad 3399 hooks right down to a size 10, they are definitely a strong enough hook for most any fish you could catch.

Just because the package doesn't say "Salmon Hooks" doesn't mean that they can't be used for salmon flies.

Merle I tie some hair wings for salmon that are just a very simple pattern to tie that fishes well and I like to use Mustad 36890 in size 6&8 for them. Really though for a fishing hair wing any hook that has a heavy enough shank will work fine.

Good Day,

I don't see a problem with this. Use what you have, it will work just fine. And who knows, this type of experimentation could lead to something rather effective! I highly advocate thinking outside the box and playing with and or fusing techniques.

Steelie

Go for it Merle, i dont think that the hair wing purist police will be hiding in the bushes waiting for you to use one of your inovations,

And if they are, just tell em to kiss your :butt:

Hey Merle,

I've been tying most of my hairwings on 36890 in a size 8 or 6, but from here on out will be using 3399's or 3906's, maybe even 3906B's.

post-1633-1160960440_thumb.jpgthanks guys

The top pic are to big for what I wanted them , but they will work for salmonfest 2007 mabee :dunno:

the bottom pic Idont think the hooks are heavy enough Will have to get some more hooks

FC

post-1633-1160960790_thumb.jpg

Should work Merle.

Heres a pic of some of the simple ones I tie for salmon here in MI that always priduce good fish. Nothin' fancy, but fish catchers ;)

Tied on Mustad 36890's

IPB Image

Merle what was the material that you used for the wings on those flies? The photo isn't that clear when it's blown up. Those flies look like they would work in the rivers up here.

Merle you could probally tie some of those patterns on a fair size egg hook. They would be good and strong, and would downsize the pattern a bit.