Fly Tying
Troutnut

More pics to share: small trout streams in the fall

In the last few weeks I've made three different trips to photograph the fall colors on two of my favorite small trout streams and one new one. The catching ranged from bad to worse, but the fishing was outstanding. I never really managed to find a spot where all the reds and yellows were synchronized -- there always seemed to be some still green and some already brown -- but I think some of the pictures came out alright anyway.

They're better appreciated in larger sizes, but here are a few of my favorites. Enjoy!

A nice brook trout lives here, miles from anywhere (the ultimate somewhere):

IPB Image

IPB Image

The next three are from a pretty remote piece of water in a generally populated area, where there are rumored to be trout, but I only caught one small brown. There are nice pools, though:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The two below are from a popular state park where it's sometimes hard to get the hikers out of the picture. Both pools hold lots of trout; the top one gets a lot of pressure and the fish are tough to catch. Tricky cross-currents are partially to blame. The bottom pool is easier to get to, but everybody overlooks it, and the fish come easily.

IPB Image

IPB Image

By the way, these are available as desktop backgrounds too.

Troutnut:

Beautiful pictures. What type of camera did you use to get your pictures? Also what was the aperture setting? Did you use a filter? What was the speed set for?

Looks like a tripod-mounted camera with longish exposure. The kind of camera is nor very important, as long as there are manual over-rides. The longer exposure time gives the water a silky appearance. That, and some gorgeous upper midwest creeks (I believe) make a fine combination in the hands of a good photographer.

Chuck, who just wiped a bit of drool off his lip.

Jason those pictures are incredible. I really like the third and fifth one down. The deep dark colours look awesome with the red and orange of the fallen leaves