Fly Tying
Alex C.

MANTIS

I started this one in early July, it's been in and out of my vise numerous times since then and has been from Michigan, to New York, to Michigan, and back to New York again :lol: It's around 70mm-80mm long. Might add a few finishing touches tomorrow, but I'd say it's pretty mch finished. I was planning on sending this in for the FTOTY contest, but I think I'm gonna keep this one for myself :lol:

:headbang: best one you have posted yet Alex :headbang:

Agreed. Thats your nicest I have seen Alex. very cool looking. I know it took a long time from start to finish with alot of time between, but how many hours of actual work do you think you have in it?

Steve

I don't know the exact amount of time, but theres 5-6 hours just in the legs. I'd say somewhere around 12 hours. That doesn't include alot of time planning and beating my head up against a wall :lol:

Alex........WOW......very nice fly......you should check out www.realisticflytyer.com and post it there....there is a guy by the name of Bob Mead (aka Mantis) who would like to see it I'm sure....tell them VERN-O sent you B)

Thanks for the great feedback everyone, it's funny how you look at a fly when you finish it and are so proud of what you've created. Then look at it the next day and find a lot of stuff you wished you spent a little more time on, or used a different material, etc. I almost feel like that 12 hours was a waste, cause I coulda spent a few more and really made it come alive. Does that make sense?

VERN-O,

Yeah I'll post a picture over there. Gonna take a different picture first though.

It's funny you mention Bob, he and I have been emailing back and forth for a few months now. He helped me get in touch with the TU chapter here when I moved out last month. He's a really nice guy. I've been finding out theres alot of "known" tyers in this area.

Alex I know exactly what you mean! That initial feeling of joy to have finally finished something you have worked on for hours and hours are often changed to beeing disappointed with a few things on the fly... I feel like there is often more things that I am not satisfied with than things that I feel content with, LOL! Basicly it's a good thing because it helps us push ourselves further and further, getting more and more focused on more detailed things.

When I started I was truely happy if I could create a nice true segmented abdomen. Now there are much more detailed things like antenna, head proportions, colour details, the bending of legs and so on that I get dissatisfied with and focus on to get better.

One more thing that I am working on is finding materials and/or techniques that will make me do certain parts of the fly faster. The main reasson for errors in my tying is that I eventuelly will have failing concentration because things take to long to create. So I try to really divide the fly in clear sections and wanting no section to take longer than 3 hours each to tie to keep my focus on it. I am also trying to continuously switch back and forth between tying and colouring for the same reasson.

A long rambling answer from me :) I hope you understod some of my bad english anyway :)

/Ulf