Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
YoungGrasshopper

Snagging

Why in the bejesus do people snag and keep salmon anyway? Seriously, they're like zombies once they enter the river. Thats almost like eating roadkill :sick:

Seems like a couple of them "Zombies" handed you your ass on the salmon trip last year lol!

Depends on where you caught it, how long its been in the river, as well as how you cook/smoke it Alex. Very rarely will I keep a fish anymore, but if you've never had a piece of salmon (yes even river salmon) that was smoked by someone that knew how to smoke it proper then you dont know what your missing.

Seems like a couple of them "Zombies" handed you your ass on the salmon trip last year lol!

No way man, The ones I hooked up with were too little so I broke em off B)

:hyst:

YoungGrasshopper, the method that you talk about is called "lining" and there is acutally a debate going on as to whether it is snagging or not since the hook lands near or in the mouth. It's pretty sad to listen to the proponents of this trying to differentiate it from traditional snagging. Up here in the Northwest, they have taken to using a very long (up to 20') leader with just a bead and a hook on the end. It's obviously the same thing as snagging and should be treated as such.

Steeldrifter, I have to somewhat disagree with your statement that because it was legal 16 years ago, that's why we see so many doing it today. Up here I see it mostly on the Cowlitz and the Quilcene rivers. Not all by any means, but most of the offenders that I'm seeing were watching bobbers on a pond 16 years ago. They weren't snagging when it was legal. These are the same guys that will over-limit, ignore closure lines and fish out of season. They are simply a criminal element and there will never be enough enforcement officers to patrol them.

I agree that the only thing that will help is to have those of us who are sports fishermen, as opposed to poachers, use our eyes and cel phones and call these things in. There are simply not enough enforcement officers to go around. But in Washington, and I'm guessing all other states too, any law enforcement officer can enforce fish and game laws. There are a lot more county deputies available than there are wildlife agents. If you belong to a local fishing group, approach the local law enorcement agencies with your concerns and get them involved. They county guys in my area make numerous poaching arrests every year, both game and fish.

Just my 2 cents

Jeff

First off welcome to FTF hunterangling :)

Dont get me wrong, not all snaggers are guys that did it back when it was legal to do. I see young kids that probably werent even into fishing snagging now on our Michigan rivers so obviously they werent around when snagging was legal. There are a good number of "ol'timers" that snag here in Michigan though that do it because it use to be legal. I have had th displeasure of meeting and talking to some of them and listening to them relive stories of the "good ol' days of legal snagging" on many occassions <_<

I'm not sure about out in the PNW but heres another problem with snagging here in northern Michigan. Many of the little towns dotted along the rivers here actually live or die based on fishing seasons. So if we did do away with the anggers and they didnt return to the rivers to fish legally, alot of the small towns would just fold up shop. Its a dicey situation thats for sure.

Alex C. puts it nicely. These fish are like zombies, and its about the closest thing to eating roadkill other than going out in front of the house an scooping a possum up and throwing it in the slow cooker. A couple years back I was introduced to snagging for the first time. It was fun....for about 2 hours. Then it got really boring. I married into a family of snaggers and its funny listening to them talk about how many fish they "caught" last weekend. This is also a family where my mother-in-law doesn't think it is right we have to buy fishing licenses in order to fish (she got a ticket for lack of license...lol...idiot). I am going to agree with the guys who say call the DNR if you see it. I'm all about upholding our fisheries. But again, be careful so you don't get gang-raped by the hillbillies who think they are great fisherman.

Thats my opinion!

Justin

First saw snagging on the Salmon River about 10 years ago. Disgusting & astoundingly crude. There was a spin fisherman snagging in mid-October this year in the same location. Ripped through a couple handsome steelies. The same guy then set up a portable grill on the bank & began cooking burgers. And yelling that he was doing so to everyone else on the river.

The worst of human nature. There's nothing good to be said of it, and eliminating it will simply require serious patrolling by wardens (that isn't now taking place).