Fly Tying
Harold Ray

Paul Whillock, Realistic FlyTyer

IPB Image

IPB Image

I saw Paul Whillock's books mentioned here earlier and checked his site out tonight. He undoubtedly has some of the most expensive books I've ever looked at, with The Art Fly Editions running from around $1,800.00 to over $2,000.00 a copy and several versions; The Realistic Fly Edition running just below $800.00 per copy and The Regular Edition going at a mere $65.71. That's the one I bought!

What do you think of his works, and what do you think of the man? Has anyone met him? Do people purchase his more expensive works as invesments, or just for the joy and thrill of owning realistic flies and the hand done book containing the information about them?

Ray

IPB Image

i've known paul for a few years and happy to say he's a normal level headed guy, who loves to fish, (though i haven't seen him catch anything yet) teach his techinques and photograph everything under the sun..his writing and tying speak for themselves

he's one of the good guys, i haven't found him to be anything but

ted

I haven't got the chance to meet Paul yet in person, though that will change next month, but I've spoke to him via email several times. My general impression of him is that he's pretty down to earth and isn't to "full of himself" like some big names are. I think his book is fantastic, and read it more times than any other tying book I have. Although I just sold mine for $45, it's easily worth the $65.

Good Day,

I am with Ted. Great guy. For example, he was kind enough to help our club with an order of his book. Again, one of the good guys!

Steelie

His work is excellent......and maybe it's just me though, but I would NEVER pay $2000 for a book. Sorry but that is just plainly an unreasonable price for a book. If I paid $2000 for a book then it better damn well be an autographed bible ;)

Although I just sold mine for $45, it's easily worth the $65.

I'm the guy that bought Alex's copy and I didn't even have to pay extra because he owned it! That alone makes it a collector's item. :D

I've already learned a lot in the few chapters I've read.

cheers,

Michael

The book is signed,comes with a Authenticity Certificate and also a framed one-off Art fly.Most of the cost would be for the Art fly and not the book

i have 1 of his Ltd Edition Art flies and it is incredible....well worth the $2000.00

Zac, and everyone,

I'm going to tell you the way that I look at a purchase like this. If I like it, am impressed with its quality and contents, and can afford it, I will buy it. There are many flyfishermen and women in this world; some of them, now or in the future, are going to want this book, but are no more copies. Just as with antiques, fine and rare books, well bred animals, there are only so many available, and the market makes the price, if Zac or any other owner decides to sell. In an auction or private sale, the object sometimes brings that asking price and sometimes not. Whatever the case and for as long as Zac owns the book and fly, he has a one-of-a-kind that no one else will duplicate to hold, read, appreciate and enjoy.

Ray

I was lucky enough to get the ltd edition art adult Stonefly. I'm just saveing my money for the shipping cost.

Brent