Fly Tying
sparcegrayinghair

Lefties and thread twist

Any other left handed tyers out there? If I twist the thread counter-clockwise after a few wraps it seems to become more rounded? Maybe I am doing something wrong. Maybe it's clockwise for us in our right minds.

OOPS! Sorry, Sparse! When I talked about thread twist during the tying demo last week, I plumb forgot to allow for the lefties in the crowd. My bad.

John

Isnt all thread spooled the same? I cant recall seeing it any other way than if the label is facing up the thread is spooled on clockwise. Duane

I'm having a tough time wording what I want to say.

When I tie, often when I let the bobbin hang, sometimes it will spion clockwise, and other times it will spin counter clockwise. (I'm not talking about when it spins so far that it starts to retwist itself and eventually switches direction. )

It does this right away. I just figured it was due to whatever side the thread was coming off during the last wraps I was making.

Greetings, I am also a left handed tier. I don't know for sure about the whole thread coming off the spool thing. When I am tying, if the thread twists, I will let it hang down and see what direction it spinning and help it by spinning the thread in the opposite direction until the thread becomes flat again. This will happen through out the tying process. I just went to my tying room and throw some thred on a hook, the thread twists in a counter clockwise direction for us lefties, so I guess clock wise in correct. Hope this helps. BillC. :yahoo: :headbang: :D :)

As far as I know, all thread is made for the right-hand dominated world, with a clockwise, right-hand twist.

"Righties" increase the factory twist by 1/2 turn with every revolution they make; lefties untwist by 1/2 turn with each revolution they make.

So a lefty, not knowing this can eventually end up with flattened thread, which can be bad if he (or she) does not want that. It will fray almost by just looking at it...

And a righty ends up with thread so tightly twisted that by the time you get to the head you have lost control of the thread. Like when you try to finish the head, shaping and tapering the head, and the thread keeps slipping down to the eye? Untwist it 20 - 30 turns, and you'll regain thread control - which, BTW - is the most important aspect of all fly tying.

Knowing this, and whether you want flat or twisted thread for your tying depending on what you are doing at the moment make a huge difference in the efficacy of your tying.

Don.

As far as I know, all thread is made for the right-hand dominated world, with a clockwise, right-hand twist.

"Righties" increase the factory twist by 1/2 turn with every revolution they make; lefties untwist by 1/2 turn with each revolution they make.

So a lefty, not knowing this can eventually end up with flattened thread, which can be bad if he (or she) does not want that. It will fray almost by just looking at it...

And a righty ends up with thread so tightly twisted that by the time you get to the head you have lost control of the thread. Like when you try to finish the head, shaping and tapering the head, and the thread keeps slipping down to the eye? Untwist it 20 - 30 turns, and you'll regain thread control - which, BTW - is the most important aspect of all fly tying.

Knowing this, and whether you want flat or twisted thread for your tying depending on what you are doing at the moment make a huge difference in the efficacy of your tying.

Don.

thanks Don this will really help my heads

I've actualy had my thread splinter before Don. Some of my first thread was UTC and it would splinter to the point of driving me mad. I switched to UNI mainly because was was tying drys and nymphs for fishing. I'm self taught, and so as I started tying streamers I found I like the UTC better and by this time had learned a little better control.

Now it's time to give these wets a try. As Iso showed in his demo for the TU chapter I belong to, thread control is everything.

Thanks guys, having a little problem getting my material, (getting BO's from two different places) but I'll be on this thing before long.

Thanks everyone!

I figured that out the hard way about 6 months ago. :ripped:

It did take me about a few days of blaming Dr. Slick until i actually realized it was my fault and how to fix it. :D

Left or right handed, you always need to let the bobbin unwind. You'll twist it more than the twist count the manufacturer puts into it. Letting it twist will weeken it too and give a lot of break-offs, especially when in the middle of a whip-finish. Waxing helps too, even if useing pre-waxed thread.