Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Brewer

black dog

i seem to be making the same mistakes on every fly....ill be picking up some printed help from mr. radencich this week

I can't really tell much from the photo but I would attempt a larger wing and be careful about the size of the head. Nothing else really stands out as being a problem. What mistakes do you think you are consistently making?

well...im having a hell of a time picking a spot to tie in the hackle, it never seems to line up with the ribs, (i false hackled this one in so i didnt have to worry about it).

also my flies look more like a streamer than a salmon fly, im thinking its the tie in point for my wings, if you have a look at one of daves flies, (im not comparing, i just like the profile of his flies), at his shoulders, the wing rises kinda, where mine gradually rises.

good attempt!

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

ah don't worry so much. everybody's got to start somewhere and all I can say is that this is not so bad.

haa you should see me first flies!

Keep em coming

Gary

brewer

nice work, nice lines...

try tying in all your materials for the body (floss, ribs, hackles etc.) so they start from the exact bottom of the body...

where to place the hackle comes with time...but try this...before you actually tie in the hackle, make a few wraps of the tinsel to see where the tye in point will be then un-wrap before you proceed...

or you can draw an exact size image of the hook and fly and use that as a guide...this way you can see the fininshed porportions...wing hieght, widths, turns of hackle, whatever...

try shortening the tail legnth ...the tail more or less controls the sweep of the wing...it's the foundation for the other steps...it's legnth and angle from the hook dictate the final look...experiment with this attribute till you find the look you want...find an image of a fly and scrutinize the placement and amounts of the materials...heavily dressed, longish etc...

enjoy yourself

Brewer,

Don't worry, we all have done mistake on first time ... You have just to practise and analyse some other flies and It will go well for the next. like have said Matt and Ted, I think the tail is too long and you should put more feathers in the wing.

it's a good work which only need more practise and analyse ... and the black Dog is a beautiful fly but not easy to tie, like the body.

All the best

Bruno

thank you very much guys, ill be trying another tonight....but right now, the old girls got david casidy blaring....im thinking she needs some attention

What the others said. I think the "streamer" look you're seeing is due to the too long tail which in turn makes the wing too long. Were you to snip off the wing just forward of the JC nail, you wouldn't have that streamer thing going on. This is the old proportions issue that is discussed so often. It's the reason one must concentrate on every step and think about how every part will effect every other part. It takes time to get a handle on this and even experienced tyers can slip up if not careful. Keep at it, you're doing fine!!!! :headbang:

Hey Brewer:

I really like what some of the veterans have to say. All great advice. What works for me is to work on only one skill at a time. I have yet to complete one year of tieing these babies and still haven't concentrated on my wings. So far, just body work.

I use the advice that Ted offered on matching ribs to hackle (wrap, mark, then unwrap tinsel). And as Ronn stated, as the tail goes....so goes the rest of the fly.

I think your BD looks like everything is exactly where it should be at this stage of your tying,,,and JUST GREAT at the same time. Keep up the good work!!!! :headbang: :headbang:

Dave G

i seem to be making the same mistakes on every fly....ill be picking up some printed help from mr. radencich this week

The Black Dog has a lot of elements that make it a pig - you did a fine job - keep at it, it'll come.

Dave

Looks good, waiting for the next one with all the great tips put into use. David Casidy,............... with any luck momma will go easy on you

Hi Brewer,

Lovely tying, I've tyed two of these flies recently and they are not for the faint hearted but you have done a wonderful job.

Well done...

All the best Davie

How I tie in my hackles...

after I tie in the ribbing(s) at the rear of the hook, I leave the bobbin there and wrap the ribbing 5 turns towards the head (temprarily), being careful to maintain proper spacing. Remember to account for the head (which hasn't been formed yet) as you wrap this ribbing.

Using a pencil, I mark a spot "a smidge" (which I suppose is about 1/16th of an inch) behind the rib where I want the hackle to start.

Unwrap the ribbing, and tie in the hackle by the tip--make sure to start the hackle at the appropriate barb length--since I like mine a bit on the long side, I'll refrain from commenting, on that aspect. Before you proceed to wrap the thread further, give the hackle a little tug to make sure it does not slip, or break on you. (what a sinking feeling when that hackle breaks after you've appield the floss and ribbing!)

Wrap the underbody thread foward, and apply floss. Note that the hackle just sticks out of the "middle" of the fly, so you'll have to work around it. I use a bodkin or needle to gently remove any hackle fibres that manage to become trapped under the thread. Wrap ribbings foward first, then the hackle behind it--folding (or "doubling") as you as you go, which helps to keep the fibres pointing to the rear.

..and that's about it. I've tried other methods, such as measuring the ribbing spaces with a ruler and marking on the underbody, or just "eyeballing" it, but this method seems to work very well for me--I hope it helps you too.

Nice tie, Brewer. Since this is the November homework fly for the virtual class, you are way ahead of the

rest of us. What did you use for the black hackle? I just dyed some choice BEP to black (my supply

was getting spindly). It took three tries to get it really black using Jaquard dye, and a final douse in Rit

black. I would have used Veniard if I had it since I've had great luck with it before.

If Matt and Lee read this, I'll be sending you some of these hackles. :)

Sign in to follow this