Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

hi

hi new to site look like a good one you will probably here from me alot i been tying streamers and buck tails for about 30 years mostly for bass but i'm going to try aand learn how to tie nymphs and drys this winter hope to get some advice thank you

calvin kidder :D :D :D

goog most of the flies i ty i get out of a book by joseph bates jr i can't rember the title right now and a friend has my copy just as soon as i get it back i will send you the title it has a lot of differnt patterns both streamers and buck tails i fish red and white mickey finn and joe's smelt a lot

calvin kidder biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Calvin,

is the book you have "Tying and Fishing Streamer Flies" i think that's the title. if so, excellent read. I happen to have my great grandfathers first editon that was published in the fifities. My favs are the Marabou streamers and the version of the Madtom. Have had great success with both.

Was once told that Bates couldn't tie a fly to save his ass, but was so in love with the sport that he went on to publish many related works. i don't know how much truth there is to the yarn, but it sounds good anyway!lol

And please feel free to share your knowlegde with us...we could benefit from you experince as a tier and angler.

QUOTE (Big Daddy Hubbard @ Aug 5 2003, 10:10 PM)
Calvin,

is the book you have "Tying and Fishing Streamer Flies"  i think that's the title.  if so, excellent read.  I happen to have my great grandfathers first editon that was published in the fifities.  My favs are the Marabou streamers and the version of the Madtom.  Have had great success with both.

Was once told that Bates couldn't tie a fly to save his ass, but was so in love with the sport that he went on to publish many related works.  i don't know how much truth there is to the yarn, but it sounds good anyway!lol

And please feel free to share your knowlegde with us...we could benefit from you experince as a tier and angler.

Hi

I used to live, in Col.Bates town of Longmeadow, Mass. back in 1946, use to visit him quite regulary, sit on his lawn, weather permitting, and look at his enourmous colection of flies, tied by the originators of all the published flies in his Streamer Book.

He was a personal friend of Carrie Stevens "GRAY GHOST' fame, he showed me a lot of her original flies, including the Streamer "Col Joseph Bates" and the "Gen MacAuthor" streamer.and many of the well known flies.

He was working on his Salmon Pattern Book, at that time, but I never had a chance to see his collection of Salmon Flies, I moved shortly after that.

A very interesting man.

I'm not sure if he ever tied any flies, that we never discussed, there were many other interest subject.

His daughter and mine used to play together while we were b------ting, see now has the rights to the Samon Pattern book.

Joe wink.gif wink.gif

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this