Fly Tying
deeky

Clamp vs. Pedestal Base

I have both and I will use the base most of the time. The clamp I will use when I want to get the fly into a higher position for tying some times. where the lower position is too low and the added second rod puts the base model to high.

post-4584-1161972713_thumb.jpgSure a pedestal is nice, but if you sit and tie flies for hours sometimes as I do, it's nice to have the vice down low, so that you have your arms lower for reduced strain on the neck and shoulders. Here is a pic of my vice mount that lets it hang lower than the desk top. It uses a large c-clamp and 3/8" rod bent 90 degrees, with a custom vice bracket to hold the post. Oh the arms say ahhhhh!

I've been using a Dyna-King vise since I started tying this year and I haven't had any use for a clamp. I've never had a problem and I like the fact that I can move the vise for better visabilty, if needed. (The work bench where I tie doesn't lend itself to a clamp anyway.) :(

So I'm thinking the pedestal is the way to go for me. A heavy one stays put quite well. It would be nice to get things back from the very edge of the table - I'm tired of having to search for dropped hooks and items on the carpet when I drop them. And being 6'7", getting the fly up a little higher is not at all a bad thing.

Thanks for the help.

Deeky

I have utilized both over the years, but prefer the pedestal because it offers the option of tying anywhere. Definitely go with the pedestal, and you will not be sorry.

I suppose it really come down to how you began tying, if it was a pedestal then you are more likely to be confortable with a pedestal.

I preferr to use the clamp, one for stability and secondly you can hang you bobbin over and below the edge of the table top which allows you to have greater tension on the thread and hold your fly together while you move around searching for materials etc to complete the pattern you happen to be working on. ;)

Mike.S

I'm only 14 but I have tied on both a c clamp and pedestal bases. I own a pedestal base vice just like the one I have as my avatar. I've spun deer hair on it many times and this thing doesn't move at all. like others I also like how a pedestal vice is mobile yet sturdy for tying. I'd go with a pedestal any day. Hope my opinion means something to you!

Pleasant Tying!

Flykid

I started out with a clamped vise and switched to a pedestal when I got my Regal. I like the pedestal a lot more -- it doesn't move around, even when I'm spinning deer hair.

Bill

I've used clamps, but both of my DK Cuda's are pedestal and i like it better that way. But really it's to each his or her own because unless you try them both, you never know what will work the best for you and your style.

Deeky

i use a renzetti traveller and find it quite good no satability problems,

the problem that I noticed was my bobbin kept hitting the base if I left it to hang, this was easily solved by purchasing a longer rod that fit just like the original. I haven't had any problems since other than the flies not lookingf the way I want them to

Cheers

Jon Grant

I use a clamp with my Mongoose. But I teach tying to Scouts at different locations, and can't always count on using tables with enough lip on them for clamps, so I have several Thompson types with pedestals. If I take one on vacation/trip, I'll take a pedistal.

Haven't had any trouble stability-wise with pedistals, but I don't do that much deer hair tugging. With one at the home tying desk, I don't need to move it around, so it gets clamped.

My vise is so cheap it comes with both. I prefer the base more than the clamp just because i move it where ever i need it. One day I will buy a new one. Any suggestions and base vise for a good price?