Fly Tying
Gregg A

Sport, Hobby, or Activity

What Do You Consider Fly Fishing/Tying  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What do you consider fly fishing and tying to be to you? For me I certainly dont consider it a sport since I dont think of my self as an athlete, even though there is much indepth thought and planning to it. To some it is what keeps them alive. Take away their fishingor tying and they will shrivel up and blow away.

Something I cant even describe is my awnser.

Fly fishing turned my life around (as lame as that sounds).

I use to get into alot of trouble in my teens, then I found fly fishing and it became "my life". Changed the way I lived to be blunt. Dont know how else to say it :dunno:

If it wasnt for fly fishing and tying, I would be sitting in the tavern right now. Probally involved in some hardcore things that I no longer care about. Or in jail.

Something I cant even describe is my awnser.

Fly fishing turned my life around (as lame as that sounds).

I use to get into alot of trouble in my teens, then I found fly fishing and it became "my life". Changed the way I lived to be blunt. Dont know how else to say it :dunno:

Man, did you ever hit the nail on the head with that one! :thumbsup:

I would say for me that fly fishing is simply my own personal way of fishing and fly tying is my hobby.

fly fishing is not my holy grail.

my tying is very respectable but hardly an art.

It's not something that we do, it's what we are. We are fly fisherman!

my whole life my father told me to find a hobby and stick with it and master it. he always told me that every hobby that he had he took up when he was too old. well, I started fly fishing and tying flies about 5 years ago. I am 34.

pickin6 and I were in a beginners fly tying class 5 years ago and all of the students were of a retired age.

I made a comment to pickin6 that ,"just think how good we will fish and tie when we are that age." At some point fly fishing changed into not something that I did, rather something that I am.

I put a fly rod in my fathers hand almost 2 years ago and like the rest of us, he is hooked. I can't wait for the day that my two sons ages 2 and 4 out fish me!

:cheers:

Fly fishing keeps me away from people when I get the urge to kill! (It's working on my wife.)

Seriously, I think it can be a sport - if golf can be a sport, why can't fly fishing? Sure it can be pretty laid back, but so can golf. Also you wouldn't say so if you had just tramped over 10 miles of rocks up some alpine stream either, golf would be a picnic in the park compared to that.

I have been flyfishing for about 10 years now. I got hooked fishing for Salmon on the Pere Marquette during my colledge days. I am a fisherman all the way to the marrow of my bones. I was raised by a fisherman, my Grandpa tought me to fish. I spent A LOT of time in my younger years either fishing or sceaming on how I was going to get to the lake fishing. My Great Grandaunt was one of the founding members of the Michigan Sportswoman's club. I spent a lot of time fishing with her also.

I fish therefore I am.

Randy

I fished bass tournaments in my 20's and 30's and consider that a sport. I hope that fly fishing never gets reduced to a competitive sport. (although if ESPN had their way, it would)

Fly fishing for me is the penacle of the fishing world. Having gone through a childhood of bait fishing, teenage years with a "catch the biggest and the most" attitude, and early adulthood fishing bass tournaments....I now I feel that I have arrived at the "top".

I can totally enjoy switching flies and trying not to spook one little picky trout for an hour. When/if I catch him, it is more satisfying than all the trophy bass and huge stringers of fish in the world.

Also, when my "prey" does take a fly, he instantly transforms himself into my responsibility...to land him quickly and release him unharmed.

There are those who kill their catch, participate in twenty/twenty clubs, etc., and that is their legal right....I've just outgrown it.

I'm an outdoorsman, and always have been, so I can't honestly say that I don't know what I'd be doing if I didn't flyfish or tie, caue I'd be doing something in the woods or in the water anyway. But since getting into flyfishing, I have a much greater appreciation for the places I haunt, and for that I am eternally grateful to this obsession. Now this is about all I do.

The fishing aspect is a recreational activity and therapy. I can feel my tensions and blood pressure drop as soon as I beging stringing up the rod. Some fishing is definately an athletic activity, slugging it out with a Tarpon is not for the weak of heart.

Tying classic flies is none of the above, it is an obsession. :lol:

I fished bass tournaments in my 20's and 30's and consider that a sport. I hope that fly fishing never gets reduced to a competitive sport. (although if ESPN had their way, it would)

Its funny you would mention this, I just turned down a fly fishing tourney. It was just a local tourney and would have been more like a get together. I offered to help with it but I will not fish in them. This is my escape and my release from the crap that happens day to day, week to week and so on. I am not about to make it a part of the rat race of got to get it done and need to beat the other guy.

I will spend a day or 2 and fish to enjoy without catching a fish just to watch someone else get the tingle or rush that follows a take of their fly. My best days on the water for the past two years involved me getting skunked but my fishing partners walking away successful.

#1 moment for memories Gary Madore with his first Creek Trout on Cold Creek with a Carlin Bamboo

#2 Gary Madore first Salmon on a fly, Gani 2005

#3 Carver and Fly1, "holy look at those fish", " you would never see this on the Credit" Gani 2005

#4 Sitting in a garage with Mike Barrand after a fishless day on the Grand River just talking

My list of what fly fishing and tying has done for me is long and enjoyable.

So for me it is my lifes blood because it is the one thing that is pure to me.