Fly Tying
Alex C.

Selling Flies

Ya know, where I'm from when a man apologizes you accept the apology, shake his hand and move on. The comments by a couple of people after Night Fish apologized show me who the better man is.

Where's the mod who said "threats" don't belong here? I'd say that threats of violence are worse than legal action.

Great post. I agree completely. :wallbash:

And where I come from, people work damn hard for what they get, and lots work 2 jobs just to put food on the table!! and comments such as the ones that nightfish made, are a slap in the face, and the apology is only as good as the man who stands behind it!! And a good man, a hard working man would not fathom of making such comments, and that just goes to show his persona, as well as the ones who agree with the comments.

So what are you so pissed off about? Based on the number of posts you've made over the last 48 hours, and the frequency of those posts, I'd say you're not among those hard working, doubleshifting folks...you wouldn't have time for it.

You always a jerk or just the last six posts?

Hell, I'm not even American and I feel offended. My perception is that most Americans are hard working and very dedicated to what they do. I'm not blowing in your ear, I could say lots of negative stuff too about the US, but lazy does not spring to mind.

Fly Time..... if your so hung up on American Made than why do you sport an Over Seas Avatar? Pffft......

ORVIS STREAMLINE RODS

Quality and Performance

Whether for yourself or somebody you know, this is a fly rod that will set you up perfectly for success. The performance and feel of each rod is designed with the most popular premium fly rods in mind. Built to exact specifications, every step of the overseas production of Streamline rods is supervised by Orvis.

Link:

http://www.johnnorris.com/pages/Orvis/rods.asp?rangex=25

Great thread guys. I just love it when someone tries to move on after making amends and others continue to pigpile on them. This pack mentality will not fly much further here. Points have been made, and continually rehashing them gets us nowhere.

Keep it civil or this thread goes bye-bye.

Very interesting thread with opinions from many people with differing views.

For anyone even remotely thinking about becoming a full time commercial flytyer then you need to do a lot of homework before making the leap. Think hard about what kind of money you would like to make and how many hours a day you want to work. Don't forget that doing paperwork, running to the post office, etc is all part of your work day and must be paid for by your time at the vise.

Figure out what kind of price you can get for your flies or what the local shops are willing to pay. If you have to compete against $4.00/dz flies from Africa and the shop doesn't care about quality then forget about it. If the shop is used to carrying "Premium" flies from overseas then you stand a chance of making decent money if you are willing to put the time in.

You will never get rich tying flies commercially, you can make a living at it provided you are aligned with the right shop and are willing to put 8-10 hrs a day in at the vise 5-6 days a week.

Figure on about 25% of your pay going out the window in material and other costs and then about 25% of what is left going out in taxes in some way, shape, or form. Not much left to come and go on if you are only getting about $9.00 - $12.00/dz for your flies.

Fly Time..... if your so hung up on American Made than why do you sport an Over Seas Avatar? Pffft......

ORVIS STREAMLINE RODS

Quality and Performance

Whether for yourself or somebody you know, this is a fly rod that will set you up perfectly for success. The performance and feel of each rod is designed with the most popular premium fly rods in mind. Built to exact specifications, every step of the overseas production of Streamline rods is supervised by Orvis.

Link:

http://www.johnnorris.com/pages/Orvis/rods.asp?rangex=25

Steeldrifter put that there, as a joke, because I hate Orvis and I cant remove it!! <_<

This is where I weigh in-

Return this to civility or DbleHaul won't have a chance to beat me to shutting it down.

End of discussion.

This is where I weigh in-

Return this to civility or DbleHaul won't have a chance to beat me to shutting it down.

End of discussion.

He does exist :P

See thats what I like about our local flyshop, Craig, the owner ties alot of the flies sold there, and the rest come from local tyers, such as myself and others, and they are all very nicely tied and focused on what is productiave around here on our local streams and rivers, he orders no flies other than from us locals, and has a huge selection of flies and at a great price, the flyshop I speak of is Serenity Now Outfitters :headbang:

both of the local fly shops i go to the owner ties all the fys sold there and thats why i do business with them because they are making a living and because each fly is tied with the customer in mind instead of the middle man

This thread is closed!

I am just seeing this thread for the first time since I was out of town the last 4 days and I will say - It's somewhat sicking to read some of the comments.

I'll say this once and only once so pay close attention-

We have worked very hard to make this site a friendly, warm welcoming site, Will, myself and all of the mods as well as even just some contributing members have dedicated a tremendous amount of our time to this place so that it does not fall into the trap that so many other sites have and I will not stand by and let a post like this continue....wether everyone has kissed and made up is of no concern to me. Everyone has had their say and there is nothing more to be said that will be "helpful" to this post in anyway.

If a discussion of 100% USA based flies -compared- to imported flies discussion is something you want to discuss then fine, start another topic on it and discuss it like adults. DO NOT take childish jabs or throw insults at each other though because that WILL NOT be tolerated and any post that goes in that direction will be removed as well as the people that are makeing the rude comments.

Steve