Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Scott Stisser

Christ Fly

THE CHRIST FLY

This fly has been tied in the traditional manner of the Atlantic Salmon fly. These flies were used in the late 18th and early 19th century. These flies are very ornate and are tied with exotic materials.

The tag of the fly as well as the eye of the fly have been tied with opaque materials thus making the beginning and ending of the fly hard to discern. This is symbolic of the eternal nature of Jesus Christ.

The hindmost body section of the fly is symbolic of The Word with God prior to Christ’s visit to earth. The body is gold tinsel and the veiling is a substitute material for toucan breast feathers. The gold is symbolic of pureness and great worth and the veiling is symbolic of mans inability to access God directly due to the separation by sin.

The middle section of the fly is dubbed with synthetic fur of earthy color. This is symbolic of Christ becoming a man and dwelling here on earth with His creation. Notice that this section is short in relation to the other sections as was His stay on this earth.

The foremost section of the fly is purple silk floss palmered with silver twist and gold tinsel all of which were selected because of their association with royalty. This section is symbolic of Jesus sitting on the throne in heaven reigning over his kingdom.

The underwing of the fly are feathers dyed black symbolic of man’s sin which Christ took upon Himself at the cross.

The overwing is married strands of white swan symbolic of Christ’s perfection and red dyed swan symbolic of Christ’s blood. The overwing covers the underwing symbolic of Christ’s perfect sacrifice covering our sin once and for all.

The sides of jungle cock are symbolic of the suffering and wounds Christ received on the cross in paying for our sins.

The golden pheasant topping and tail meeting together are symbolic of the crown of glory that Christ now wears. He is truly King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

post-3501-1162853079_thumb.jpg

What an awesome story to go along with an extremely well tied fly. That is great use of symbolism and materials to tell the story. Thank you for sharing this Scott. Do you have the origins of the story? I would love to share this with others with your permission.

Thanks again Scott. Too cool!

Scott:

The celebration and demonstration of a man's faith through his work is always wonderful and inspiring. Thank you for sharing. The fly looks grand!

Dave G

What an awesome story to go along with an extremely well tied fly. That is great use of symbolism and materials to tell the story. Thank you for sharing this Scott. Do you have the origins of the story? I would love to share this with others with your permission.

Thanks again Scott. Too cool!

Matt -

Of course you can share with others... that's the reason I came up with this

fly.

I designed this about 5 years ago, family did the Christ birthday cake

thing and so I thought it would be nice to do similar with a Salmon Fly.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Scott,

Thanks for the amazing story and beautifully-tied symbolic fly. Glad to see in these days of politically correctedness (bullshit) a man isn't afraid or ashamed to share his faith and love for The Lord of Lords :yahoo: . Amen brother and keep up the inspiring work. Interestingly enough I have a pattern that I tied in honour of God's greatness in creation and I will share it with you here very soon. In fact, it won Gold in the Mustad Scandinavian Open a number of years back.

BTW, I was tying at the 2006 British Fly Fair International...had a fantastic time there, and spent the usual on feathers and some very desirable books!!!

Pedro. :headbang: :cheers:

Scott , very nice fly .

I like to say thanks for a great Christmas gift idea for my mother-in- law . Every year we have a Theme type family Christmas party , and I think your fly would be a meaningful and unuasal gift and stories to share with the family . Steve B)

Great stunning fly.... I love the story... really gives the fly character.

:P

Chris

Sign in to follow this