Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MTtyer

How to de-magnetize tools?

I was just wondering if anyone knows how to de-magnetize tools. It drives me nuts to reach in my fly box for a size 20 nymph and have 3 of them jump to the forceps before I can grab one. I use one of those Tach-it thingies on my tying bench to hold hooks and I'm sure that's not helping either. It's a trivial thing but something that's been bugging me for about 30 years.

I picked up this neat little devise last year from Radio Shack (cost was around 4 or 5 bucks). The devise is made by a company called Kronus. It allows you to magnetize and demagnetize items simply by sliding them through it a couple times.

post-4573-1163126185_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1163126207_thumb.jpg

heating it up also diffuses the magnetism just be sure to not get it so hot that it loses its temper or re-temper it after heating it up

I'm still trying to figure out why you would want to de-magnitize your forceps. I spend time trying to figure out how to magnetize my tools. Non-magnetic tweezers would solve your problem.

So you pick up several hooks at once - most folks tie a dozen or more of the same size of a pattern. Prepping multiple hooks at once seems desirable.