Fly Tying

Goal(s) for the 2004 season

Every year I have some theme that drives me. For example, two years ago, I went through a whole season fishing almost nothing but crankbaits, trying to get better with them. A year ago, I wanted to live in a live bait world. Catching, raising and fishing better with livebait. Last season could have been titled "building better flies". I was trying to develop flies based on what I was actually seeing the fish eating, from invertebrates to minnows.

This coming season, I have the bug for big fish! I picked up a clearance bin spool of 12# flouro tippet, and it got the juices flowing. Plus, I spent the last two months of the Summer/Fall trying to beat my fly rod record for Wipers. (4#)

This season, less fish, bigger fish. Bluegills included. I'm sure I'll have some days when I get in it for the numbers, but I am definitely going for the Bulls this year. Any of you set goals or get into a particular groove for your year? You warm climate guys have a longer season than us Yankees, but I'd like to hear from you too.

I can see it now... Deeper, slower, bigger...

The four goals for this coming fishing season:

1) More Carp

2) Bigger Carp

3) Catch that 20+ mirror I caught at the end of December so I can get pictures

4) Explore new sections of "old favorite" waters. There are a couple of flows that I've only explored the bottom half(or less of). Time to break out the DeLorme and the ADC Maps.

Jason

May sound a bit cliche........ but to just enjoy the experiance and time out on my old favorite rivers more and not worry about having to tryin catch a certian size or number of fish.

SD

I'm sure everyone has picked up on my new found love for the wet/soft hackle fly. I want to concentrate on trout this season compared to steelhead and salmon. My main goal is to make a hex hatch (which I've never been able to find time off work for) and to try the AuSable, especially the Holy Waters.

1. Spend more time fishing.

2. Try not to neglect the great trout fishing nearby. I got my boat last April, and the trout were pretty much ignored after that.

3. Albacore on a fly.

Same as always for me.:

1.) More time on the water

2.) 14"+ brookie (don't I wish)

3.) Hit the Pink run w./ fly-rod (talked about it forever, never tried it)

Al

First to fish more consistantly.

17 inch resident rainbow.

Get back to the north shore of MN for some looper fishing on Lake Superior.