Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Nick N

Why did I buy that?

So, been wondering............who else has looked through their materials and asked yourself why you bought that?

What are they?

for me I recently found:

a whole skein of bubble gum pink yarn, a 2nd ringneck pheasant skin, a 4th pack of strung peacock herl..........the list goes on :D

"why did I buy that :wallbash: "

Nope, never had that problem. Keep it coming. I say the more the better!

Just got a new order in from China today. Spent the day pluckin feathers wrist deep in borax and salt. My biggest problem is storage.

1 set of Wasatch tools 7 tools and leather travel case + bought 3 extra tools

IPB Image

IPB Image

2 small parrots {1 yellow 1 green}

2 royal blue king fishers

2 Blue horn bills

2 Silver pheasants

1 Reeves pheasant

4 Pheasant crest & tippets {2 Amherst 2 golden}

A friend of mine stopped in and gave me

1 blue jay

2 full wild turkey fans

1 set of mallard drake wings

1 full set drake wood duck feathers

1 bag full ringneck pheasant feathers

1 bag pheasant church window feathers

1 set of rough grouse wings

3 bag termagant feathers

4 huge white buck tails

5 small bags mist..... bird feathers

I also stopped by my bird coup tonight picked up 3 molted pheasant tail feathers and 4 peacock feathers

and that's just one day!

Next week have coming in

1 full badger pelt

1 full otter pelt

1 black fisher pelt

2 AAA jungle cock capes

Fine Winder II tying machine and my Kalax if it ever gets here.

IPB Image

I hit a closeout once, guy was getting rid if stuff to remodel his shop

spent less than 20 bucks, got backs of stuff

I still have 15 different colors of orange austraillian possum, if memory serves the y were .05 a pack

Pauly

I don't do a ton of bass fishing on the fly rod, however I think I own every color of deer hair available......I love to spin, but I've never had a trout take a 4/0 yellow and red chug bug (popper).........

I generally ask myself that question when I get home and find that I already had exactly the same color/shape/size material. :wallbash:

One of these days I am going to have to do an inventory to keep myself from buying duplicate materials.

IPB Image

I started to say that I don't do that sort of thing, but now I'm looking at those blue magnum rabbit strips....and I tie trout flies.

I don't do a ton of bass fishing on the fly rod, however I think I own every color of deer hair available......I love to spin, but I've never had a trout take a 4/0 yellow and red chug bug (popper).........

:hyst:

I do the same thing :hyst: I found myself tying a saltwater topwater fly today :blink: I'm only about 2000 miles away from the ocean so i might get to use it, who knows :hyst:

well my wife at the time, went out to get me some supplies one time to tie some flies. I was pretty busy so i gave her a list and had her get it for me. UM...anyone see where this is goin? So she gets back 4hrs later!! She got what i wanted plus, hooks, I wanted hooks for trout, got hooks for whales! Beads for for some nymphs, I got craft beads that could slide over the gape. And she got sewing thread cause "it's thread. Whats the difference?" So I buy most all my supplies. My current girlfriend watches my quite abit when i tie so I'm confident of what she gets me. so far I havent gotten anything my self that I havent needed or asked myself why.

the first one that comes to mind is the Magic Tool. Bought it in 03 or 04 with a gift card after Christmas, still havent used it. I am not sure why but i havent.

I found myself tying a saltwater topwater fly today

Chris,

That is absolutely no problem. Tie a bunch of them and send them to me. My address is below.

Ray

Today I bought some peacock krystal flash and some pink scud back. Mostly because they were odd...........Never fished pink scuds, but I think I will tie some.

That covers about 50% of the stuff I buy LoL! I've bought it all and some.

#1 Nor-Vise

#2 P.M material clips used a few times. Any one care to part from the $30 dvd's? LMAO!

#3 the knot tying tool. The good looking chicks make it look easy. I was ill'ed to see that Cabelas sold it cheaper than what i had bought it for at a Expo.

#4 craft store crap i'll never in my life use. glitter,and a ton of extra crap.

#5 wing burners. It's better to cut to size.

#6 $200 worth of dollar store stuff LoL!

#7 Gamagatsu fly hooks.super brittle!

#8 all the vises I bought until i bought a Peak vise.

#9 Dr.Slick scissors. What are these things made to cut?.... Farts? Their all junk!Go Anvil.

I could ramble on forever,But I still think tying is worth every penny invested!

Brent

Go Brent, I bought the Dr Slicks bobbin, and I can say for a fact it cuts thread WAY better than the scissors!!!

:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

I second the go Anvil!!! I bought the Anvil Apex vice, and I love it!!!

Dustin.

Go Brent, I bought the Dr Slicks bobbin, and I can say for a fact it cuts thread WAY better than the scissors!!!

:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

I second the go Anvil!!! I bought the Anvil Apex vice, and I love it!!!

Dustin.

I love DR Slick tools in general , but I absolutely hate those freakin Dr Slick bobbins! They are the most inferior bobbin design I have ever used. The ceramic is rough enough to file your nails on and they are a downright bitch to thread! If I owned such a successful tool company as Dr Slick, I certainly wouldn't put my name on those damn bobbins. I still have one left I got as a gift. As soon as I'm finished with this post. I'm gonna fold it in two and throw it right in the garbage where it belongs.

I'm the same as letumgo. I don't know how many spools of black 6/0, bundles of pearl krystal flash, and size 12 dry fly hooks I have because I couldn't remember if I was out or not. And turkey biots...they always look like different shades of BWO in the shop, so I've just gotta get it. Get 'em home & you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

MTtyer, those blue zonker strips make very effective crayfish claws on olivish 'dad patterns.