Fly Tying

Ever been bitten underwater?

Okay, this may sound silly, but I'm serious.

In conversation the other day I was telling a guy abou the time I was wading about waist deep in the Ohio River on a day when it was very muddy, I mean straight BROWN like just after a heavy rain. There were minnows being jumped and since I was in a popular Bass spot, I figured it was either Whites or Wipers chasing them. A few minutes later, this enormous head surfaces, swimming slowly along out of the water about 6 feet away from me before submerging again. It was the biggest Musky I have ever seen alive in person! (To give you an idea, I was present to see a guy land a 43" Musky a few years ago.)

I think I set a personal best speed record going from waist deep muddy water to ankle-deep, muddy water! Here is my question: Do you know of anyone ever being bitten by a Pike or Musky while wading? I know the salt guys have probably encountered this, but what about freshwater? There was no way I wanted to be a test subject for this Musky in this water I couldn't see through!

few years ago a guy was fishing for panfish in a canoe letting his feet hang over the side musky comes up and clamps on his foot and has to go to the hospital cause the musky won't let go 60 stitches later the dnr won't let him keep the fish cause it wasn't caught legally

Never lnow anyone that was actualy "bitten" while wadeing mark,but when i was a kid about 15 years old i was in the boat trolling with my dad&grandpa when gramps landed a pike of about 24-25" and as he was unhooking it with his foot on the fish (he was always kinda leary of toothy fish) the fish turned and grabed his pants leg and started flopping around with gramps pants in his mouth.

I will always remember that happing becuase dad and i laughed so hard i thought we were gonna roll right outa the boat. laugh.gif

SD

I saw an idiot put his fingers into the mouth of a 6 or 7 pound bluefish to try and get the hook out. and another guy pick one up by the lower jaw both were quite bloody but never been bitten in the water including while surfing in a full on bluefish blitz

I once had a rattlesnake try to climb into my float tube with me. Of course the wife thought it was pretty hysterical. I had to change my waders.

Never been bitten, however I have been wading in the local trout stream and felt something bumping into my leg. When I looked down I saw it was a snapping turtle maybe about 1-1/2 to 2 foot round. Startled me a bit to see him by my leg. unsure.gif

tom

have been cut open by gar in the Dix River. They run thier spawn with the white bass and get really thick in the riffles. Thier skin is like armour and can slash open a bare leg quickly. Have had gills pull the hairs out of my legs, bass try to eat gills on a stinger, and a trutle get my ankle when I steeped on his shell in the shallows, and was once bitten by an angry muckrat who was feeding out of a bait can full of hellgrammites! I love KY!!!!

I remember one time back in High school me and some friends were swimming out to a sand-bar a couple hundred yards off shore in a local lake. A small tiger-muskie swam up and took a tug at my buddies nipple. Didn't hurt him any, but I don't remember him swimming in the lake too much after that.

Al

years ago my buddys and I were wading a pond out by Houghton lake in Michigan. Catchin little pike on plastic spinner baits. It was a hot day so we were wet wading. I was wearing open toed sandals. A snapping turtle decided to taste my big toe!!! Ouch did that hurt! After that I havent wet waded in a pond or lake ever!

We have a family story that makes us howl with laughter. It probably has some element of truth but don't ask me how much.

We knew a guy who lived on the Bras D'or lakes in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada who for one summer seemed to be the playmate of a local cod. You also need to know that if something weird was going to happen to somebody it was going to be this guy - he was a legend. When he used to swim, the cod would come up underneath and take nips at him. The cod bothered nobody else. It got to the point that his wife would go to the beach before his swim and beat the water with a paddle to scare away the cod. Alas, there are far fewer cod around these days.