Fly Tying
rawfish

Ideas for a guy who ties on the dining room table

As the title says, I tie on my dining room table. As you can imagine the wife likes that I clean up after every session, which necessitates filing all the different tools and material etc in all their various storage containers a laborious and annoying process. Anyone have any ideas of some type of small set up which coul hold my vise and tools and material that I need immediately that I could just whip out and tie with whenever I want.

The Oasis desks arent good because the hold everything out in the open and I have nowhere to put them when I am done tying on the table

I am sure someone has a great Idea.

Thanks

I know the feeling. Here are a few options I've used in the past. 1- Get a multi drawer chest. The plastic rubbermaid types at wal-mart. They come in multiple drawer combos, and can store a massive amount of supplies. 2- While at wal-mart or a craft store, buy the spool storage boxes. Mine holds 15 single spools, and 10 of which can be double stacked bringing the total spools to 25. 3- Get the parts containers that hold small parts. You can also find this there in the tools section. All of this can be placed in the chest, and get rolled around so that you can place it where ever you need. And if you absolutly have to tie at the table, you can do so, and then place all your supplies in the drawers in a matter of minutes to make her happier. If you can get a lapbench it really helps. I know it did me before I was able to get an actual desk setup for my tying. Any other questions feel free to ask. I know about limited space. I live with a teenager in the house :wallbash: as far as a lapbench, you can find em relatively cheap with other items usually in a single auction on ebay. Most all my supplies are from ebay. Good luck.

Somewhere I saw an article about making one out of a thick plastic cutting board and some dowels, I will see if I can find it for you.....Kerry :)

Get a bigger house or a wife that lets you convert one of the bedrooms into a hobby room of your own. Or you can just wait until the kids turn 18 and move out too. The advantage to this is that the in-laws don't stay long if they have to sleep on the living room floor because you're in your tying room tying bugs with all of your friends.

One thing I found that really helped me. My wife used to sell Mary Kay and she bought a BIG tackle box. It lays flat and the top and bottom open seperately. The bottom is GREAT for hackles/fur and vise...depending on how big your vise is. Mine was just a basic no frills vise. The top was great for all of my tools, thread and smaller items. This helped me to easily unpack and pack things up when I was done. I couldn't see spending 50-100 bucks on a bench that would hold all of my tools because I would have to put it up somewhere my daughter, cat and dog couldn't get it. My tackle box can just lay next to the comp desk and when I'm ready just bring it to the table and go!! I haven't gone to wal-mart to get the storage boxes but I'm sure I will have a stack of them soon enough :) Good luck!!

I'll try to get a pic of it and give you a better idea!!

Check Home Depot/Lowes etc for double-sided tool boxes. I use one for my portable tying kit. It has clear lids on either side and holds a ton of stuff. I think the original intended use was an electricians tool kit. You'll have to pack the vise separately though.

When i was tying at the dining room table i tried to keep it simple. I guess one thing to consider is how long you plan to tie at the table, whether it is for several years or only a few months. I knew it was only going to be a yewar or so until i had a dedicated tying area.

I used 2 medium sized rubbermaid boxes, well i started with 2 small, but as i acquired more stuff i had to get bigger boxes.

In one box i kept all my feathers, spools and tools, in the other i kept all my fur, synthetics and pedestal vise. When i wanted to tie i set the boxes in the table in front of me, opened the lids, took out the vise and tool tray and picked out the materials i needed.

I use the stanley black and yellow box for my stuff when I'm tying somewhere. 2 tiers wheels and a handle that pops up.not sure what the name is any morer but wally world has them for around 20 bucks. I can put all my tools, vice and enough materials in it to tie 1000's of flies...I'll take a pic and send later..

This is made by stanley, they have a few others, too.I see this model at all the stores..I use it to go to demo's and shows.post-624-1163430743_thumb.jpg

This is made by stanley, they have a few others, too.I see this model at all the stores..I use it to go to demo's and shows.post-624-1163430743_thumb.jpg

hehe i bought one of those too back in the old house. I got it home and started to load it up and realized the handle was cracked. I took it back to Wally World for an exchange but they didnt have any more so i took the refund and never got back around to buying another one.

http://www.fortshockley.com/

I have no idea what these would cost but they look pretty slick.

The Fort Shockley boxes as well as Gerstner's (http://www.gerstnerusa.com/sportsman/1609Fly.htm) are fantastic but they can be a tad tough on the wallet

For a more economical choice check the chest on the left side of my desk. I bought it at Lowe's around Christmas time last year for $60 ish. You will probably need to call your local Lowe's to see if they have any or are getting any.

post-1597-1163507485_thumb.jpg

OK I just took a look at those Gerstner's boxes and holly $$$$ batman, I figured they would be pricy but I had no idea they would go for that much. Makes me want to fire up the table saw and go into production :ph34r: .

tBlazer