Fly Tying
jared

South County Fish

No great size to them (biggest maxed @ 24") -- but we got into an absolute smorgasbord of

stripers. Sometimes busting on the top, sometimes busting under birds, often just a carpet of

fish on the fishfinder. What can best be described as "stupid fishing".

Too bad we didn't bring the kids along -- they would have had a field day. Both thumbs are shredded.

Sadly, we didn't find any big bass, nor any of the Fall blues that we were hoping for. On the plus

side, no sign of any gannets yet, so there ought to be some good fishing yet. Water temps are still

plenty warm for both species.

Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze another trip or two out before it will be time to winterize the boat.

-J

Same story up here...there are pods of schoolies that can give you action all day but no bird activity, no significant bait and no real consistency day to day as far as location.

I haven't caught a keeper since the end of September - weird fall, still better than last year at least for me.

How late in the season can you guys still have reasonable action?

I grew up in North Kingstown, RI & I'm planning a spring trip back up that way. Any RI recommendations for spring fishing?

Thanks, John

JJD, I'm a Westerly native, and we've had pretty good fishing well into December some years - a friend of mine fishes year round and he gets fish right through the winter, but he's really hard-core. There are always a few fish around if you know the spots. If you're in the NK area in the spring, the guys at Quaker Lane Tackle in NK should be able to point you in the right direction.