Fly Tying
fish`n feind

What`your favorite kind of fish to eat

freshwater its either walleye, perch, or whitefish. saltwater its grouper (or sea bass), mahi mahi, and halibut.

I'm curious, since I'm basically a salt-water fish eater myself, but can you Trout-eaters tell the difference between the taste of a stocked trout vs. a wild trout? Which taste do you prefer? And which tastes the best--Brookie, Brown, Rainbow, etc?

FlyPilot - When I was growing up in the Adirondack Mountains of New York, I used to eat native brook trout. I found that the native trout had an orange-pink colored flesh and tasted wonderful. I'd say they were similar to flavor of a pink salmon. The rainbow trout I caught were fish that had been stocked. I noticed that the flesh of the stocked rainbow trout tended to be pale white colored and did not taste as good. I'm guessing that the difference in the taste and color of the flesh has to do with the diet of the fish as they are growing up. The native trout eat insects all their lives, while the stocked fish spend their first year eating those little fishmeal pellets.

I've released every brown trout I've ever caught, so I can not comment on their taste.

ive found that stocked trout seem to have alot softer meat which i dont care for so i stick to my panfish since i dont feel right keeping wild trout

I regularly fish a little creek with a very healthy population of wild rainbows and I occasionally keep a couple for dinner. I can honestly say wild trout is 10 times better than a hatchery raised fish. However, I'm more into eating saltwater fish. Cobia, mahi, spanish mackerel and tuna are some of my favorites.

~Bryce

I eat trout, but salmon is my favorite. The difference between hatchery trout and wild is like night and day. Hatchery is pale, usually white if its from a lake, but wild is a light pink, and a bright orange if its a cut. Is it legal to eat brown trout? Maybe i'm crazy, but I thought it was illegal in a lot of places to keep browns...probably crazy

Walleye

Great Lakes Whitefish (fried, broiled or smoked - it's all good)

Crappie

Tuna steak

Mahi Mahi

Salmon/steelhead if they're fresh from the great lakes. No grocery store stuff. P.U!

Mike