Fly Tying
Bass

When tying in hackle.. what angle?

Hi guys!

Heres a question that might be wierd since im gonna have a problem trying to explain what i mean =)

Should have worked harder on my english lessions in school lol

Anyway, when tying for example a Wolly Bugger.

What angle do i tie in the hackle feather?

When i try the feather dosnt come out right so when i spinn the feather across the hook, the feather comes out flat on the hook or in weird angles so the hackle points in all different directions =)

Hope anyone get what i mean and got the cure for me!

Regards // Bass

Some of what a hackle does is due to how you use it and some of it may be due to the quality of hackle. I tie mine in with the concave side to the back of the hook, by the butt, at the front of the body. I let the feather lay on a slight angle again to the back of the hook (toward the bend) and tie it in by the butt. Wrap it back in even wraps with some tension and use a ribbing wire wound to the front to hold the hackle down.

If the feather does not have a round stem, it will tend to turn or twist as you wrap it. Some of the effects of this can be reversed, by stroking the barbules backward as you do each wrap. The other thing you can try is tying it in at the bend of the hook by the tip, where the stem is finer and wrapping forward on the hook, again keeping the concave side of the feather to the rear.

Good tying!......Kerry :)

bass,

as with alll the other facets of this activity, there are a few methods that are used...as described previously,,,wrapping from the front to the rear, or the rear to the front ...as long as the stem isn't too thick or too skinny or brittle..

stripp the hackle fibers from one side of the feather and use that as a body hackle...simple stroke the fibers rearward as you're winding the feather along the shank

folding the hackle requirs a bit of manual dexterity but it is a learned skill and is very qucick and easy after you get the knack...essentially the idea of a folded hackle is to take all the fibers sticking out of one side of the hackle stem and bringing them to the other side and creasing them along the stem by pinching them and slideing your fingers down along the hackle...a little wordy but you should be able to do this..

feather selection...evry know feather has been utilized that has a free flowing movemnet...mostly you'll see hackles etc but alsoo eurasian jay and colorful parrot wing quills were used also..

saddle hackles work welll with body hackles..when you used rooster neck feathers then you can have some minor problems...saddles are very popular because they are inherently softer stemmed...

a lot of wriitng for a simple operation....

in shory flexible stems and fibers that are mobile make for good body hackles

i misunderstood your post...thought you were talking about body hackles..

your dry looks good...the better the hackle the easier the tie...just keep the thread wraps under the hackle smooth and you'll have little trouble

nice work

Hi and thx guys!

The hook is Daichii, pretty cheap hooks that i use while learning to tie =)

Ted: Yeah you were right, i was doing WollyBuggers and had the problem with body hackle, but i also had problems with any kind of hackle :)

Should have posted a Wolly Bugger instead ^^

I always tie in some of the base fibres. I find that if you just tie in by the stem, then the hackle may spin and rotate. Also if tying klinks, it helps to wind a first wrap of bare hackle stem; it stops the fibres pointing upwards.

Hope this has been of help

Chris