Fly Tying
Bamboo

Float trip suggestions

Last year, I spent a week on the Green River in Utah with my pontoon boat, camping at the riverside campgrounds, and had a great time.

Well, I still have frequent flyer miles so I want to do it again. This year (probably September), I'd like to go somewhere that would let me float 2-3 different rivers in that same week. So, I think the rivers need to be big enough to float, within about 2 hours drive of each other and have some sort of local camping options. Oh, and the rivers should have good trout fishing (preferably dry fly).

Any destinations that you think would be worth looking into?

Bamboo

What area are you looking to fish bamboo? we have some great trout river here in mishigan that are all within about a 1-1 1/2 hours drive of each other. If you want some more info let me know and i'll give you some on them.

SD

Try eastern Idaho around Idaho Falls. From there you can float the Henry's Fork of the Snake, The South Fork, and the Teton river. The South fork and Henry's Fork of the Snake river are both known for their excellent dry fly fishing and best of all the three rivers are all within 1 to 1 1/2 hours drive from Idaho Falls or even Driggs. Don't let people scare you away from the Teton, it is an awesome river in the canyon stretch. Especially in late summer when hoppers are everywhere. Watch out for the rattlers though.

-- Willie

Yellowstone. There are a dozen blue ribbon trout streams within a 1 hour drive of West Yellowstone.

QUOTE (willie @ Feb 16 2004, 04:19 AM)
Try eastern Idaho around Idaho Falls. From there you can float the Henry's Fork of the Snake, The South Fork, and the Teton river. The South fork and Henry's Fork of the Snake river are both known for their excellent dry fly fishing and best of all the three rivers are all within 1 to 1 1/2 hours drive from Idaho Falls or even Driggs. Don't let people scare you away from the Teton, it is an awesome river in the canyon stretch. Especially in late summer when hoppers are everywhere. Watch out for the rattlers though.

-- Willie

I have to second that!! Best fly fishing you'll find! ::fish

The Teton is grand, but of the 3 I love the South Fork. You can make a two day float if you go from the damn down and stay in the canyon at one of those camp grounds. Excellent!!! biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the input. After researching a bit, the South Fork / Henry's Fork tandem is looking pretty interesting.

Thanks

Bamboo

If you're looking for a single 2-3 day float with awsome views, big fish and occasional class III rapids I would strongly recommend the Black Canyon of the Gunnison near Telluride Colorado. If you want more after that you can also drift the Animas river near Durango. TU did shows on both last year and both rock! After that you can hit the San Juan just over the border in New Mexico.

QUOTE (lanvaettir @ Feb 20 2004, 02:54 PM)
If you're looking for a single 2-3 day float with awsome views, big fish and occasional class III rapids I would strongly recommend the Black Canyon of the Gunnison near Telluride Colorado. If you want more after that you can also drift the Animas river near Durango. TU did shows on both last year and both rock! After that you can hit the San Juan just over the border in New Mexico.

Have heard that is grand!! Can you take a jet boat rigged to row down it?