Fly Tying
Crotalus

Wooden tool boxes at Lowes

Are the drawers deep enough for materials? They seem to shallow for things that are in thick bags.

I just bought one of these at Lowe's (for $67) after seeing this thread. It is a steal even at the higher price because it is very good quality and the dark redish color is very "majestic" looking.

The drawers are no overly deep - you can't put anything in them that is over an inch or so high. The top "drawer" which is actually a lid that folds up and down is about 2.5 inches deep - so you can get a lot more in there. I wouldn't put any bottles of glue in there though as I'd be afraid they would leak and would ruin the box/felt lining.

I managed to fit all my junk in the drawers and had one long drawer that I used for all my threads/wires/tools. I managed to get everything else off my bench except a trash bin and I put my one bottle of glue next to the drawers.

This was a great buy and thanks for helping me organize!

Things i have in the upper drawers:

Hook packs - mustad plastic boxes will fit.

Extra thread spools, wire etc - wont stand up but will lay down

Beads

Leaders and tippet spools

Chenille cards

Packages of CDC

Thin skin packs

stripped quill packs

basically anything that comes in "flat" packs will work in the upper drawers

In the top "bins" i have all my hackle, rooster and hen

The bottom large drawers hold patches of hair - deer, elk, moose etc..

also stuff like strung hackle and marabou, boxes for fly swaps and larger items like that.

Their web site 'Search' function doesn't recognize the item number they have on the box, some I'm holding my breath they'll want to push them out the door by year's end rather than carry them over as inventory. I find myself detouring to that end of the store on every trip anymore !

I'm holding my breath they'll want to push them out the door by year's end rather than carry them over as inventory.

You might get lucky, but they don't generally have to worry about carrying them over. In my experience, they sell out well before the holidays are over.

I went to the store near my work on Tuesday and they had none. The manager checked the stock in the other stores and it was pretty limited. Some had 1, others had 3, one had 7 and one had 11. They are located on the end caps or in teh middle of the isle on display in the stores - so they definitely get high exposure.

The part # is 171108 (I believe) - if you call, they can check the stock at your local store (or surrounding stores) for you.

It sounds that you guys really like the Lowe's wooden boxes. They must be good.

I am not looking for any myself because I store my materials in plano plastic containers and what I am doing, I think it is just about right. Each Plano keeps one type of a material item - one or more Plano boxes will hold only hackle, one or more will hold only hair, etc. If I need more room for an item, I just get another Plano box for about 6 bucks. I do not mix stuff in any of the boxes - i.e. feathers are never mixed in with hair in any of the boxes and so on.

Lowe's may have the wooden boxes on sale starting on Dec 14.

Lowe's will open their first 3 stores in Canada on Dec 14. But I do not know what might be on sale. There will be a store west of me in Hamilton at 25 miles, Brantford is also west at 45 miles and the Brampton store is north east and about 20 miles.

When the US dollar was worth more than the Canadian dollar, it would have been worth buying stuff from Canada.

Most stuff here is more expensive than in the USA. But there is a lot of stuff that is cheaper here (numerically). I am aware of 2 store in Canada where Daiichi hooks are cheaper here than in the States and there are no brokerage fees and currency exchange rates.

Should the boxes be on sale here, they might still be a good buy even for you guys.

Have a good day and a nice Monday. Me, I will go to bed - I do not have to work :hyst: :yahoo:

carp-starter

My Lowes says they have them for $69. I check it out tomorrow.

Sportsmansguide.com has them for $89 under the title Deluxe Wood Collector's Chest.

Lowes in Wilmington,NC has them for $59.95 but need to know location of the store that had them for $27.00.They

said they ould call & honor the price.Neat box.Please send store location & if you know store # that too would help.I will be waiting.Thanx,FD

Went to Lowes. Saw the dark (mahogony colored) variety for $69. Wasn't impressed.

Went to Harbor Freight. Saw their $99 version. Better than Lowes.

Went to Sam's. Saw their $99 version. Just like HF but seemed better quality. Only the display left and wouldn't sell it.

Here's some of the negatives. The Lowe's version seems smaller and the drawers were not as snug.

The HF model has a fold down front that requires to set it about a foot away from anything.

The Sam's version has a vertical wood insert that can lock the drawers closed for moving the case. Nice feature.

I already have a Sam's version and will look at Gander next chance I get. The Sportsmans Guide version seems like the Sam's and for about double the price you can buy a second tier that pretty much makes the chest into a cabinet. Tempting.

Here's what I have in my current chest. Top compartment is extra reels. Four smaller drawers have extra tools in one, spools of wire in another, hooks in a third, and beads in the fourth. Longer drawers have chenille in one, flashabou and krystal flash in another, and miscellaneous (eyes etc.) in the last.