Fly Tying
beaverfsu

SALTWATER: What do you Use?

SALTWATER: What do you Use?  

309 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When I get to go Saltwater, it has always been Ascension Bay and chasing permit, so I voted crabs. For bonefish I throw a small tan crazy charlie size 12, with just a little gold flash to it. For the small tarpon a white deciever or a White Puglisi style bait fish, has to be white there. And then for giggles mid-day in the river channels we throw a 6 weight with bass poppers for snappers, and giggle just like schoolgirls.

Cheers, Futzer

I use a pattern called a sili shad. Made from sili skin with varring tail styles and large holographic eyes. The shape is that of a shad or gulf menhaden . To date I've caught over a dozen spieces of fish that were'nt the target spieces , proving to me it is a very effective fly.

Shrimp and crab patterns -- almost exclusively -- for redfish, specks, black drum, flounder, permit, bonefish and pompano. Sometimes skimpily dressed minnow patterns or a DT special type fly for snook.

I vote for clousers,because I use them most of the time in my country,for seabass,generaly chartreuse over white.

I use Woolly Buggers and Clousers pretty evenly so far (seeing that I have so much saltwater experience :rolleyes: ) but I voted "all other wets" for Woolly Buggers. I've probably used Woolly Buggers a bit more than Clousers so far. Reds and Trout seem to dig them. Could pass for a shrimp. Could pass for a mud minnow. Could pass for a finger mullett. You never know.

I'll probably start using Seaducers more too. Those just scream shrimp.

Although I use deceivers, clousers and bunny flies alot, I probably use poppers most often. They work great on the flats for trout and reds and the hits are fantastic.

I HAVE USED CLOUSERS FOR YEARS, IN MOST CASES ANY CLOUSER WITH MOSTLY WHITE IS A GOOD CHOICE FOR SNOOK AND MOST OF THE SPECIES IN THE BACK COUNTRY HERE IN FLORIDA. KEEP THE PRIMARY COLOR WHITE AND JUST ADD A FEW STRANDS OF WHATEVER COLOR BUCK TAIL MATCHES CLOSELY TO THE BAIT FISH IN THE WATER. (WORKS FOR ME) 125 LBS ON ALL WHITE CLOUSER IN FLORIDA BAY WITH A LOCAL GUIDE IS MY BIGGEST CATCH

post-18883-1230505648_thumb.jpg

post-18883-1230508397_thumb.jpg

I am surprised nobody has mentioned it but for me the Hollow Fleye has been the best fish catching fly for the last 3 years. I like tying them with either a saddle hackle or bunny strip tail. A close second would be a clouser again using a hackle or bunny strip tail.

I don't mean to put down The Clouser And the Deceiver, for years they have produced fish..,but there are lots of flys out there that are just as good and some even better. You just have to try other patterns. If you look at the Spin and casting world they are always looking for the new lure or soft plastic. For example Todd's wiggle minnow a couple years ago won the Charleston celebrity redbone redfish classic,, outfishing the Clouser and the Deceiver, which most other anglers were fishing, the Tarpon toad won the multi species tournement in Florida. When you look at professional bass fisherman they have different hard baits, soft plastics, jigs, top water, spinnerbaits, etc.. My fly box has many different flys for many different fishing situations.,, Its the same with flys. You should have many different flys for different fishing situations ,it will make you a much better angler, Keep the Fly shops open and try other flys besides Clousers and Deceivers.

I just came up with a new crab pattern for redfish.post-11886-1235327281_thumb.jpg

Those crabs are insane, makes me ashamed to follow up with my baby blues...

post-15973-1235491167_thumb.jpg