Fly Tying
beaverfsu

SALTWATER: What do you Use?

SALTWATER: What do you Use?  

309 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

swink,

would love to see a recipe and/or tying instruction on that one!!

Actually got the pics and step-by-step accepted by a magazine, so I am a little hesitant to post them, but I will let you all know when the subscription comes out, July/August. Sorry, but I am sure you can disect it, not too tough.

Clouser because it gets into the strike zone quickly. It's also like the famous Hare's Ear nymph in trout fishing, a classic that works most of the time. I should probably use more poppers , perhaps I'll try it this season.

I think the reason we use a particular fly is because we have a lot of confidence in it and it works most of the time. FishHawk

I have to agree that the gold spoon fly is great for reds but give me some rabbit and I'll get the reds and snook

Ok Salties, here is your chance. What do you use the MOST?

My apologies for any missed categories. :coffee:

Before I get creamed: :gunsmilie: Salmon flies are so unique, they get their own cat. Some might say the same about tarpon or bonefish flies....

For the Chesapeake Bay it would be a Deceiver, hands down!

I would say that it would be between a deceiver ( sometimes lightly weighted ), and a small silicone Silverside called Johnny's Angel. The poll was a trick question. I voted for Deceiver but fish many other flies. <_<

Deceivers and clousers in green or chartreuse and white have been mainstays, however, I managed to throw shrimp and crab patterns more often last summer.

Looking to expand quite a bit this year, will be many more fly only trips.

I would say that it would be between a deceiver ( sometimes lightly weighted ), and a small silicone Silverside called Johnny's Angel. The poll was a trick question. I voted for Deceiver but fish many other flies. <_<

Amen to that. A sea robin imitation or a big eel or needlefish pattern will out-fish just about anything on the list over the course of a season, at least when it comes to nailing big stripers from shore. Not to mention woolly buggers and bunny flies. There's a multitude of critters out there to imitate and something will eat just about all of them. (with the possible exceptions of orcas and great whites - I think they're fairly safe)

Ok Salties, here is your chance. What do you use the MOST?

My apologies for any missed categories. :coffee:

Before I get creamed: :gunsmilie: Salmon flies are so unique, they get their own cat. Some might say the same about tarpon or bonefish flies....

post-25498-1267283034_thumb.jpg

post-25498-1267283083_thumb.jpg

post-25498-1267283098_thumb.jpg

post-25498-1267283113_thumb.jpg

post-25498-1267283158_thumb.jpg

A couple of thing 1. cant vote on one fly. different places, different flys, BUT I can count on the same FLY working in it's different place. if you understand what Im saying :wallbash: . second 2. you guys say CLOUSERS cause they go DEEP. if you use a sinking line or sinking tip you can get ANY FLY DEEP. just depends HOW FAST you have to be there. a lot of flys work great an get great action when worked this way, sometimes BETTER than w/ regular line. give it a shot some time. PUT that DECEIVER DOWN DEEP, an see what happens. :yahoo: w/ that said I vote FLATWINGS :bugeyes:

ok DECEIVERS :crying:

GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN :rolleyes:

Fish mostly Clousers and Deceivers, when shrimp are around in the spring I use shrimp and finally crabs in the summer and early fall.

I have to agree that the gold spoon fly is great for reds but give me some rabbit and I'll get the reds and snook

But in Louisiana , we ain't got no snook... but we do have an unbelievable number of gold spoon eattin' big-shouldered reds!

I put other wets, but most of my flies are clouser style with bead chain or dumb bell eyes. not really the clouser minnow.

I don't really use any "traditional" patterns. I use a lot of creature flies that could easily imitate a mud minnow or a shrimp or other small prey.