Fly Tying
beaverfsu

SALTWATER: What do you Use?

SALTWATER: What do you Use?  

309 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I use clousers as they are a quick tie, very durable in the surf and effective for many species of fish in the Southern California surf.

I like to use a chartruse and white clouser for yellow fin croaker. as far as perch I have had better luck with the paconni prowler orange or red it is a evil fly that is very effective for those bastards. I havent had much luck with the tan version but it is effecitve its almost the only two flies that I have in my box.

When I get the chance to fish saltwater it is normally from Clearwater to Sarasota Florida. By far the most productive fly for me is a Falsh Pilcher. Never had much luck with Apt's, Roaches, or Clousers.

Day to day we use a variety of flies -everything from six to seven inch black flies for giant tarpon down to small popping bugs...

At night, though, things change. I have a night booking this evening and we'll be somewhere between Miami and Miami Beach (probably on the sheltered Miami Beach side of the Bay since it's going to be blowing 10 to 20 out of the northeast.... We'll be using 8 or 9wt rods mostly (maybe a 10wt if we spot some bigger fish). Our targets will be snook in docklights and tarpon wherever we find them - mostly fish less than forty pounds. The fly we'll use the most is a simple white tarpon streamer in size 1/0 or 2/0 - a secondary pattern may be a Crystal Schminnow in size #4 or #2. Here's a few pics - that tarpon pattern is called a Night Fly and it's evolved over forty years into a perfect night time pattern for sightfishing both tarpon and snook. The hook varies from the old Mustad 7766 to the much more modern Owner Aki....

post-30940-0-35872300-1449322022_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-40114300-1449322044_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-98757100-1449322073_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-49852200-1449322112_thumb.jpg

Now we'll see some clear baitfish we call "Snot Bait", stripers and hickory shad love em. A size #6 Gammie, white Ultra Hair because it will become clear with epoxy body and a little flash then a big eye. It's really a Bob Popovics Epoxy Minnow at it's heart. Match the hatch helps as always.

post-18342-0-12257200-1450559792_thumb.jpg

I use whatever I tie the night before. I adapt to habitat, and tie my patterns accordingly. I've been fishing 30+ hrs a week since I was 27, I don't guide, and I have no desire to bring fish home or look pretty for hero shots. I enjoy jackass fishing at it's finest. I used to catch a lot more fish, but these days I have a lot more fun. I'd rather feed one fish something ridiculous than catch 10 fish on something boring. Right now I'm obsessed with bonnetheads. I'm having luck with small hackle crabs but they will test your patience.

I voted deceiver but a clousers weight at a rivers mouth makes it a great choice.

For salt water I usually tied fly on a treble hook, the reason is there are many Barracuda in my country.

so if hook the Barracuda can't fully closed his mouth. thus sparing the leader line.