Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tompa

What's next in front of a tube and some tubeflies

Hi all :D

My opinoin on new tying stuff <_<

David raised a question in the weekend about what's next on a templedog tube. I suggest he's referring to the new TURBO cones by Guideline.

Being a tyer of both classic and modern salmon flies I find the question both righteous and in place, I have no issues in that.

But WHY is the question raised in the first place? Has there been set a standard somewhere, somehow in how a salmonfly should appear, possible strongly connected to how it should be fished?

I think that's maybe the case, and I also think it's sad.

My strong believe is that if the "old masters" have had modern tying materias of today aviable they would have used them and that goes for rods, and lines as well.

No doubt we have a great deal of heritage to consider and to care for but also a warning to make the heritage into a backpack filled with stupid rules that really considers no one. I will try to give an example:

A great deal of the "older" Scandinavian writers/salmonfishers still writes books and their opinions about salmon fishing is influenced by techs and methods that has been found less effective IN VAROIUS CONDITIONS. For i.e Lee Wulff's saying about "don't care about the fly as long as it is fished on floating line" is strongly implemented in their thinking. Further one can notice the almost manic use of old full action rods and whole lines as if it where rules written in stones and fetched of a mountain.

My strongest believe is that some times it's right to use a floating line BUT in several cases it's not. And how about all the fishing done before the "greased line" was invented, shall we just cut that and the flies that were tied before from our heritage.

Everyone in their right state of mind will notice that the exclusive use of theese methods is more like neurosis and that it's often justified by the spitting on other ways to fish.

Fortuneatly this is nothing that bothers me 24-7, but if I'm confronted with it I'll tell you my opinion.

And as it was said before this is exactly what I'm doing now. In the company of my "fishing-brothers-in arms" we have a saying that goes (poorly translated)

"Fish the best doing it your own way" and I intend to. So let´s see what the manufacters will come up with next and maybe, perhaps let´s put some of it in use.

ALWAYS tight lines, my friends, always tight lines :headbang:

//Thomas (with no fear of getting his ass kicked over this post)