Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steelie Junkie

Hello

thought it was in his signature??? not sure what happened....maybe we can get the link added somewhere...would be interested in learning more, myself.

Welcome aboard, from yet another steelhead chaser. I'm in Oregon where we have "Real" stealhead, you know the ones marinated in salt water boxing.gif j_k.gif

This is a cool site, a little more laid back then many others, we just need some more westcoast boys smile.gif

Jim

Welcome to the group

I browsed your site more than once. Nice patterns and great info.

Yup, steelheaders are a weird breed. Fighting shitty weather just to feel that thump on the rod.

Ontario eh? I've heard stories of the fabled Garden. I guess it's quite crowded now.

I've had the pleasure of fishing the Rocky. Not bad for a City Stream.

In the Winter of 02 our runs never materialized with the low water and it took a trip to the Rocky to finally loose the skunk.

user posted image

Not a hog by any standards, but that one was very special after numerous fruitless trips.

I heard the Grand also gets a nice run. Is it floatable or does it have Fords much like the Rocky?

Shoe,

I never fished the Garden, I mostly fished the St.Mary's, Jackpine and Cypress for steelhead. I've heard the Garden gets a lot of people, I haven't fished for steel in Ontario for about 5 years.

You can use a drift boat on the Grand. One my friend got one this week and we're going to try it out this spring. There is some nice water north of the I-90 bridge, that is inaccessible to most anglers, because it involves a very long walk.

Hey Junkie,

Welcome to the site! Lot of great guys that love to fish.

I have not entered into ranks of steelheaders......yet! But I would love to give it a shot!

I am a steelhead freak myself and if you haven't tried it yet, make sure that is one thing you do (and hopefully soon). It is awesome baby!!!!! rockon.gif rockon.gif

Hi Steelie Junkie,Hi All

I'm new to this site and also a SteelHeader from Ontario,

hence the name.Spend time tripping to Lake Ontario tribs.

Also just got in to CenterPin Reels.Managed to pick up 2

reels over the winter at good prices.Some of these pins sell

for a nice chunck of change.Now I'm in the process of having

a 14' custom rod(St.Croix scIII)made.It's in shipping now since

Friday.Be hitting the tribs to try her out as soon as she arrives.

Well thats my fix,Ron help.gif

I bought a 13'6" Raven float and Kingfisher reel from Ebay last April for #220.00. The seller posted it on steelheadsite's classified and only 5 people bid on it. I came in with 40 seconds and won the auction. I couldn't believe I got the rod and reel for less than $250.00. Brand new, the reel and rod would cost me $600.00. I mostly use the pin in the winter and it the most effective method to fish long slow pools.

I got mine through classifieds.I figured if I

couldn't get the knack for it,it wouldn't be a

large investment.I only paid $160. for 1 and

$200. for the other.The custom rod is$175. US

shipping included.I can always put a spinning

reel on the rod and get my money back on the

pins.But I don't see that Happening.I've been

practacing casting w/ them and I think it's going

to be a great spring.

Tight Lines,Ron headbang.gif

hey steelhead junkie, just another steelhead fanatic here. i know we have met before. i love your site it really helps woth the walkthrough steps on tying flys. what part of ohio you live in? i fish mostly the chagrin but make occasional trips to the grand and chagrin. hope to see you out there some day.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this