Fly Tying
Laxi

Some flies

Hi.

I've been tying some flies recently and wanted to show you. The flies are for brown trout, sea trout and artic char and have all worked really well here in Iceland

This one is called Peacock (very original :P)

IPB Image

This one is called Killer

IPB Image

This one is called Pheasant tail, you should probably all know that one.

IPB Image

And this one you should also recognize, Bloodworm.

IPB Image

And now come the streamers. This one is called Dentist and is really good for sea trout.

IPB Image

And the last two you should also recognize, Mickey Finn and Black Ghost.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Please tell me what you think.

With greetings,

Laxi

Stupid question:

What is the point of using double salmon hook :dunno: ? I would think if you have a large concentration of fish in any one spot the chances of foul hooking a fish are magnified 10 fold. I’m NOT trying to say that you are snagging fish, but I don’t see any other point in using double hooks. Please don’t take my question the wrong way, but I never understood why people use double or triple hooks on flies.

Very nice flies, and I often use double hooks in my egg flies, I find I get better hookups, and I have yet to snag a fish with em.

Dustin.

Hello

How do the fish respond to the pheasant tail you have pictured versus one with a peacock thorax and wingcase?

The peacock is mostly used in stillwater but the PT in streams. Both work really well and as you can see the PT fishes much deeper. The PT is not imitating anything special as far as I know but the peacock imitates a caddisfly larvae. Here you can see pictures http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/12/Insect-Tr...era-Caddisflies

What is the point of using double salmon hook :dunno: ?

I honestly don't know. When it was originally tied it was tied on a double and I just kept it that way. Also I think it looks better on a double :) This is the only trout fly I tie on a double and it is just because of old habits :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments

Hello, I just returned from a veru successful fishing trip here in Iceland and the fly I used almost all the time and caught almost all the fish on was the bloodworm, it's my "safe fly". I posted a report on talkflyfishing and I'll just post it here as well, enjoy.

Hello, long time since I last posted anything here, so I better make a damn good post to make up for it :)

So, I got my drivers-licence last spring and I went my first fishingtrip alone this weekend. I went fishing in a river that my family owns, and I have already posted some pictures from it: http://www.talkflyfishing.com/index.php?sh...&hl=iceland

So, as I have said before, I´m not going to write much about the pictures because long texts are boring and it is much more fun to look at beautifaul pictures. But if you want to know anything I will be happy to answer all of your questions.

I'll start with some landscape photos.

The main fishing pool:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Another good pool:

IPB Image

A beautifaul pool:

IPB Image

Now, some fish photos. It's a small river so the fish aren't big, but they are great fun to catch and with all these rapids and waterfalls the fight can get quite exciting :)

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

A tiny little char decided to show up:

IPB Image

Almost all of the fish took this bloodworm, but one took the black ghost and one the white "nobbler".

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Some action photos, taken by me while fighting the fish.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

There are at least 5 brown trouts on that photo, I know you wont see them, but they are there ;)

IPB Image

And I was there as well :buff:

IPB Image

That's it for now, if there's anything you guys want to know I will be glad to answer all of your questions.

And if you were wondering I released all the fish.

From Iceland,

Laxi

G'day Laxi. Very nice flies. I like the killer although we don't use doubles here in Australia.

It sure looks cold in your photos of the waters. Your flies worked well judging by the photos of the Trout.

I'd love to fish waters like this, totaly devoid of trees on the banks.

A lot of rivers & streams where I fly fish have trees & bushes lining the banks so we either roll cast or wade & mend the line after casting.

The attached photo's are of a typical waterway where I fish, not as many trees here as on some other streams I fish. The water was a bit muddy on the day I took the photo's so we fished elsewhere. When the water is good there are some great Trout caught here as it is on private property and is only fished when we (my fly club mates & I) fish it. It is well of the beaten track so we pitch tents & camp for the time we are there.

Good luck with the fishing.

G'day Laxi. Very nice flies. I like the killer although we don't use doubles here in Australia.

It sure looks cold in your photos of the waters. Your flies worked well judging by the photos of the Trout.

A lot of rivers & streams where I fly fish have trees & bushes lining the banks so we either roll cast or wade & mend the line after casting.

The attached photo's are of a typical waterway where I fish, not as many trees here as on some other streams I fish. The water was a bit muddy on the day I took the photo's so we fished elsewhere. When the water is good there are some great Trout caught here as it is on private property and is only fished when we (my fly club mates & I) fish it. It is well of the beaten track so we pitch tents & camp for the time we are there.