Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Hatches Magazine - December 2006 Issue

The December issue marks the end of the first year of Hatches Magazine. Somehow we have managed to publish a new issue every month and there has not been an issue where I felt the content was lacking. Every issue our writers have stepped up and provided us with well written and informative articles and I am in debt to their generosity. I thank everyone who has help spread the word about Hatches and those who have supported us.

Every month it seems a little tougher to gets everything done on time but somehow we have managed to not fall too far behind. Dave and Steve have done alot of work behind the scenes and I could not have done any of this without their help.

As always we need writers and a constant flow of new articles.

Here is the December issue.

Shooting Heads

written by Sean Murphy

Afternoon At McClellan's

written by John Berry

My Hat Gets Out More Than I Do

written by Joseph Meyer

Peanut Bunker

written by Jerry Sapp

Alabama Creek Bass

written by Bart Burgess

British Columbia’s Angler Management Program

written by Lev Wood

A Change of Plans

written by Papafish

Entomology Bookshelf

written by Roger Rohrbeck

Would you walk past the big ones?

written by Trevor Martin

Tying Up Loose Ends

written by Randall Thorpe

His Old Coat

written by Len Harris

The Irresistible

written by Breck Miller

That step-by-step on the Peanut bunker came just in time!!!

I often wondered about the tying sequence and obtaining a full profile without the bulk. The attachment of the eyes and securing them with silicone is the cat's ass :headbang:

I have used the aztec method in the past, with mixed results. I tried coating the head with Softex and it's just too thin for this type of application.

Seeing I just ordered a bunch of EP fibers from Stockyard last week. Talk about timing. I'm hoping to perfect some mullets and pinfish for my up-coming trip to the Keys.

Thanks Jerry :)

I really enjoyed reading Sean's article on shooting heads. For you guys that haven't tried this type of setup yet I highly reccomend it. I got the chance to go out to Cape Cod and fish with Sean a couple months ago and really liked throwing streamers with that type of setup. I liked it so much I'm gonna be using it for all of my streamer fishing from now on. Great Article Sean :headbang: :headbang:

I also like the article on the peanut bunker . It was well done. The photos are clear, The last photo of the finished fly is great !!!

vtflyhack

Another terrific edition to Hatches Magazine! Wonderful articles. I was absolutely blown away by the article by Roger Rohrbeck on the entomology books (outstanding article Roger :clapping: ).

I want to take this opportunity to also say "Thank You" to all of the authors who contributed to Hatches Magazine throughout the year. The depth of talent on this website is amazing, and I am grateful that you are all so willing to share your knowledge and writing talents. Great stuff!

Will (smalliehunter) - You've probably thought of this already, but the Hatches Magazine Articles would make a nice book if they were every put into print. Wouldn't it be cool to have an annual bound copy of Hatches Magazine?

Hey Jerry, quick question

What's the drying time on your brand of silicone? I bought some 3M stuff and it seem to take several hours to dry. No big deal, but when I tried to apply the second coat.... Is yours still wet (tacky) when you apply it again?

BTW, even my first few look pretty decent :yahoo:

Another terrific edition to Hatches Magazine! Wonderful articles. I was absolutely blown away by the article by Roger Rohrbeck on the entomology books (outstanding article Roger clapping.gif ).

Hi letumgo,

Thanks for your kind words, even though it has taken nearly (10) years for me to see your post.

It appears that the link to my article is no longer accessible, so I have hosted Entomology Bookshelf on my website.

Best regards,

Wow! Taxon... I never thought I'd respond to a 2006 thread... I can't even remember that far back, but the tables in your book site are incredible! Thanks.

Wow! Taxon... I never thought I'd respond to a 2006 thread... I can't even remember that far back, but the tables in your book site are incredible! Thanks.

You're certainly welcome.

Best regards,