Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
duckydoty

?Early Christmas Present?

My wife told me this weekend that she wanted to give my Christmas present to me early. COOL! I'm thinking--Till she sends me to the hardware store to pick up 2x4's and drywall. So I spent all day in the basement framing stud walls and hanging drywall. Now I wasnt enjoying my early Christmas present because I kept thinking of how I should be down at Taney fishing and enjoying the first snow of the season, and hanging drywall for a spare bedroom wasnt my idea of a great christmas present. I just bit my tonge and kept haning sheet rock anyways.

Well, I turned out to be the real dummy---It's not a spare bedroom----Its my very own fly tying room. I can decorate any way I want. Hang dead things on the walls. Paint any color I want. The whole works from top to bottom. It's all mine!

Now the hard problem. I've just about got the walls ready for painting but after that---?----

I'd like to get some framed salmon flies

I'm gonna have to design and build a desk

Any other suggestions for fly fishing decore?

What a COOL present!

Duckydoty

Put your 'puter in there, a tv with cable, small dorm fridge, lazy-boy, make a tying desk from 2 2-drawer filing cabinets & a flush interior door, or get a computer desk. Put up racks for your rods. Some sort of HI_FI system with BIG speakers. And a life-size Britney Spears cardbord cutout.

Sounds like your wife is a keeper. Put her picture in there someplace so she'll feel she's special.

Now that you know what it is for is it too late to pull the walls out a little and make it "bigger"? :dunno:

I think it is an unwritten law someplace that every fly tying room has to have a movie poster from "the movie". I have one, and a framed picture of a fisherman standing in a river watching some buffalo watching him fish. Must be a Wyoming thing.

Oh, dont foreget the coffee pot. And lots and lots of electrical outlets. If ya dont put em in now you'll wish you did later. Cant have enough. Got to have mine rewired the first of the year.

A poster of "The Movie" would be great. Lots of outlets already- one every 4 ft all the way around. Cable line already run. I like the wicker creel Idea. No coffee--Small fridge for Mountain Dew is good idea. Thought about lazy boy or day bed--Every Man has to have a dog house :yahoo:

Duckydoty

don't forget the trip wires :hyst: What an awesome gift, man she tagged you hook, line and sinker. You had no idea lmao. That's awesome, your wife and mine must be related :blink:

Ashby

I think I have about 90% of everything mentioned in mine...except for the Britney Spears cutout :hyst:

DD your gonna LOVE having your own "man room". You'll be surprised how much more it makes you want to tie or do other fishing related stuff all the time :headbang:

few other things that every man room has to have though.

-Some sort of clock with fish on it

-A lamp with a reel or creel as a base (or some other fishing style themed lamp)

-Pictures from past trips. I took an old 3'x2' picture that had a clear front on it and took the poster out of it then made a college of pictures from years past that hangs on one of my walls

-Rod rack for all the fly rods

-Bookcase or book shelves for all the tying/fishing books

-printed out maps of your favorite rivers

-A fish tank. I use to have one with a 8" bluegill in it in my area. Only I think all the dead stuff hanging on the walls made him a bit nervous :unsure:

-A dry erase board! (they come in super handy). How many times have you been tying and though "I need to go to the shop and get some more____ only to wake up the next day and forget what material you wanted to pick up

Heres some shots of my fly tying/rod building area in my basement. Maybe this will help to give you some ideas.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And of course as as Gregg mentioned. I wouldnt want to break the law by not having a poster from "The Movie" :hyst:

IPB Image

Congrats DD!!!!! and Steve, I was at your house, and never seen that room, is it cause ya knew we would never make it to the PM :dunno:

Dustin.

SD

Lots of great ideas there. The photo booth is a must have. Cork board also a need. Rod rack :dunno: dont know if I'm gonna have enough wall space-might have to come up with something for the ceiling

The room is 11x14 and I'm already worried about space :P

Duckydoty