Fly Tying
ARFLY

Black bear hair

Yeah, I was thinking of the wings for streamers. I had not thought about the under fur. Do you know any specific patterns?

Black Bear is used in the wing of the Black Nosed Dace buy believe it or not about 99% of the Black Bear Green Butt salmon flies on the market today are tied with black squirrel tail for the wing. If you can ever get a black bear face or mask whatever you prefer to call it you will find that it has great winging material for smaller flies.

I would believe it that black bear hair is no longer used on most commercially tied flies. Squirrel is cheaper and easier to get. What I have is a rather large patch of hide probablly from the back or side. I don't have the mask. The more I think about it, this might make a nice woven body stone. I'll have to see what I can come up with.

Black Bear hair is quite easy to get your hands on here in Canada and is relatively inexpensive. I keep quite a bit of it in the shop and use quite a bit of it in flies for the shop. If you wanted to tie up the same amount of flies using black bear for the wing vs squirrel then you would probably need about 2-3 pieces of black bear to 1 squirrel tail.

I blended some with black Australian opposum and some black seal fur I had and tied a bunch of really buggy black stonefly nymphs. It was a little tough getting it to dub on the thread as I don't like to use wax but I had to break down and use a little.

T

Bleach some of it out and dye it up in various colors. Somewhat similar to Polar Bear after bleaching. Be careful with heat on the hair and on the hide if it has been tanned. Save the underfur when tying with the hair itself and use in blending with other materials. The easiest way to bleach is take some Lady Clairol blonde or similar and work it into the piece of hair as it only takes a short time to bleach out, pheasant skins, grizzly necks/saddles it works on many items. It's fun to play.

Mad Scientist

Fly Tyers Dungeon