Fly Tying
FlyBoyJack

Do you agree

A question for all of you trout fishermen out there.

A good friend of mine stated that 'If a trout sees any fly no matter what it looks like than it will take it.'

Personally I don't agree but i was just wondering what you people think.

Thanks, Jack

Well......many anglers including a number of top, well known anglers have stated that fish do no look at detail, but at the general shape of the fly........A fish is not exactly going to look at how many legs a nymph has, but will recognise the general shape of the legs, and this will act as a trigger point.

A great mystery, is why Atlantic salmon and sea trout take the fly, as they do not apparently feed when they enter a river....do they take the fly out of aggression......past memories........Who knows but the fish themselves.

This is just my thought on the subject, though like you, i disagree that a fish will take anything that it sees.

I can use my experience on the chalksreams to back this up.....Theres no point in fishing caddis for example when there are small pale watery's coming off the water....The fish will just not have it.

Best regards

Chris

Couldn't disagree more. In many cases, the perfect fly, even if seen, will not bring the take unless presented perfectly. My .02

Dave G

I can't agree with that. I've seen fish flat out ignore flies. I've seen fish coem up to a fly and then refuse it. One day this year I was bored with catching fish after fish and tied on a Hex during a hendrickson hatch just to see if the stocked trout in that area were as stupid as I thought they were. I didn't get any takers with it. If what your friend says was true, it wouldn't be called fishing, it would just be catching.

Couldnt be more wrong. Trout like any other fish will see a fly and sometimes come up to it then turn away at the last second, totally move out of the way of the fly, or see it and not give it a second thought. If they took any fly they see then there would be no reason to even go fishing anymore.

Steve

I disagree with your freind, think about it how many times have you have a trout turn their noses up at your perfectly presented dry fly? If trout are locked on to a certain speicies of fly they will usually ignore your "wrong" immitation. Just imagne if you stuck a great big ball of feather and dubbing on a size 1/0 hook and called it a "fly" how many fish would take it? But thats just my 2 pennys worth.

I disagree. I spent about a week fishing a stream this summer. Throwing everything but the kitchen sink at trout and had no takers. Im still working on catching my first trout.

Undertow

I think that he is wrong. like several people have all ready said, I have seen fish check out a well presented fly. they examine it for a second or two and then ignore it.

-alex

I think a good presentation will just.... not spook them. Size and proportions are much more inportant than color, within reason. I have seen olive and tan GRHE for instance, have very similar results in the same stretch of water on the same day. Tie on a PT or prince and get shut out. They are looking for what they've been eating, if it looks close enough and there is no angler error, fish on! Then again, Ive seen trout (and many, many carp) turn away for no obvious reason. Must be something that doesnt look quite right. Those are the fish that keep us going back.

I strongly disagree -- the folks who have posted above have covered the subject well. On occasion, a trout will take a fly that's nothing like what's visible on/in the water, but they'll not just take anything any time.

Bill

I disagree with your friend. I have thrown a dry to rising fish during a hatch and if sulphurs were coming off I couldn't get a rise on a tan midge (or vice-a--versa). It's hard to believe that fished can be so keyed in on one specific bug that they practically ignore something different.

I've had em take em, spit em out, or just plain ignore em. It all depends on what thier in the mood for. I say keep a general selection of flies for the water your fishin, and when ya find the one that works...use it. I can both agree and disagree on that statement. In all types of fishing, use what works to catch em.