Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Inconnu

Tungsten sheet material

I just picked up some tungsten sheet material from my local shop ( I was on another errand and just happened by). I was going to shape it the same as my burnt wingcases on the Draper Stonefly Nymph I posted earlier and glue a wingcase feather onto it to add weight. The Draper hook does not lend itself well to beads and if this works then I don't need the "other" weight material. I'm wondering if there is another place I might find it for less, as in another type of shop or was it made just for us flytyers? :)

Sorry, I don't know of another source. I did want to share my experience using it for the same purpose you mentioned. The tungsten sheeting threw off the balance of the hook, causing the pattern to ride hook up. Not a problem for fast water, but it wasn't to my liking.

I thought it might do that, actually beads may be the only thing that doesn't do that, but as you said in fast water it shouldn't matter. I think it will still tumble as it should. The stuff sure seems expensive though :blink: so I can't see using it on many other patterns, just the draper hook patters.Thanks for your reply!...... :)

I like to cut it into a narrow sliver shaped like a triangle. I tie the tip of the triangle onto the hook shank at the tail and work my way up the hook shank using the thread tension and taper of the the triangle cut to build the taper into the under body. It works well for standard style nymph hooks size 14 and up.

Frank

The Draper hook already has a long teardrop fram so I could just cut a piece to lie across it and then tie it down. Good Idea thanks!! :)

Good Day,

You are welcome. I have also found the tungsten sheeting in a very dark grey and olive. I have used it for all manner of nymphs... stonefly, mayfly, caddis, etc.

Steelie

I used to get t at my local shopped, but apaently I was the only one cause they dropped it,

it wasn' ever cheap, I think it was 5 bucks for two sheets

If you find it onl;ine let me know