Fly Tying
tightlines

looking to sell reels on ebay

Wonder if anyone could help me here

I know the g loomis venture reels are still selling well.

I would like to make a large purchase from a wholesaler ( to reduce my unit cost ). Anyone know if there are wholesalers out there that carry this product (or other popular reels)??

Thanks

Chris

Chris, you can always try contacting G Loomis for the name of the nearest distributor. Keep in mind that most if not all wholesalers/distributors demand proof of you being a registered business complete with tax number, business registration number, etc, etc, etc before they will deal with you.

I am not familiar with the price of the reel you mention but considering what the average markup on a flyreel is in my shop and most of the other shops i know of here in Eastern Canada i think you might be better off burning your money in the fireplace rather than risking it on Ebay.

Good luck with your adventure...

Most of the big name rod and reel companies require that you have a physical storefront and they do not deal with the wholesale distributors. You can get some Okuma and Pflueger stuff but that is about it.

My dad uses the Venture5, and its a superb reel, smooth, and an outstanding drag system. Although I have to say the best drag system on a reel is by Redington, I have a 5-6wt redington reel, and with the drag halfway, it will handle Salmon and catfish with ease.

Dustin.

When I worked for a sporting goods store, Loomis was one of the companies that was very picky about not discounting any of their products unless they were closeout and they granted permission. They would pull their product from your store in a heartbeat.

However, I see Loomis Venture (Adventure) series reels on ebay all the time selling for under the retail $100.00. (I'm selling a spare spool to a Venture 7 right now, so I've been watching) I don't know how these guys pull it off. If they aren't Loomis-approved dealers, then how do they get their product? :dunno:

My dad uses the Venture5, and its a superb reel, smooth, and an outstanding drag system. Although I have to say the best drag system on a reel is by Redington, I have a 5-6wt redington reel, and with the drag halfway, it will handle Salmon and catfish with ease.

Dustin.

Dustin,

You don't wanna know who owns (and manufactures) Redington reels! :hyst:

Cheers!

Gary

Gary, actually Steve was telling me that it was Orvis, but if it is, they should take a close look at the redingtons and copy the Battenkills after them, I will say again I really like Redington reels, even if they are put out by Orvis, I just cant understand why the quality is so much better on them than the Orvis named reels :dunno:

Interesting subject, though many distributers want a tax id# (and a good 60%+ want a store front or an actual web based business with advertisement). Plus want your insurance information just to make sure you are reputiable and won't alter their product OR have the means in case of lawsuits. I know i did.

However and most of the time, quantity discounts really don't count unless you get into good numbers.....like 200, 500, 750, and 1000 units. Reels may be different in that aspect, but i don't know?

But just to give you an idea.........When i was buying parts for my business, if i only bought 200, i usually saved $.09/unit $18 total. Obviously larger quantities went up in savings but then you have quite a bit on hand, which if it don't move, you break even or grab what little change you've made.

I know it's pretty tough and i do wish you the best though! B)

Todd

tightlines,

Since your asking where to find a wholesaler its a safe bet that your not a licensed re-seller. To buy wholesale most companies require that you hold both a state and federal tax ID and you must provide credit information. Also most big companies require that you maintain minimum sales numbers to qualify. For instance, I have my licenses but do not qualify to but from a certain "big west coast blank manufacturer" because as a custom rod builder I can't traffic enough of their product. I'm sure that Loomis has the same standards so even if you would get your license you probably would not be able to move enough of their product for them to cut you a wholesalers discount.

Good luck, but I think you could spend you efforts in more productive ways than selling reels on ebay. Even if you would get a good discount the ebay mark-up isn't enough to make it worth it. People shopping there are looking for deals. If they were willing to pay full retail they would buy from their local shop.

Pflueger Trion, Orvis Battenkill mid-arbor, Reddington (whatever) = same reel...comes out of the same factory and they put different names (and sometimes handles) on it.

tightlines,

Since your asking where to find a wholesaler its a safe bet that your not a licensed re-seller. To buy wholesale most companies require that you hold both a state and federal tax ID and you must provide credit information. Also most big companies require that you maintain minimum sales numbers to qualify. For instance, I have my licenses but do not qualify to but from a certain "big west coast blank manufacturer" because as a custom rod builder I can't traffic enough of their product. I'm sure that Loomis has the same standards so even if you would get your license you probably would not be able to move enough of their product for them to cut you a wholesalers discount.

Good luck, but I think you could spend you efforts in more productive ways than selling reels on ebay. Even if you would get a good discount the ebay mark-up isn't enough to make it worth it. People shopping there are looking for deals. If they were willing to pay full retail they would buy from their local shop.

throwafly,

I think i was talking to the same company that you referenced in your post. The minimum order for me to buy direct was $10,000 US, anything less than that and i would have to buy from a Canadian rod builder who had a distributor agreement with them to cover smaller accounts.

The last time i checked into carrying G Loomis products the minimum purchase to get a dealership was $3000 for rods and i think the reels were $2000 and after that you could place fill in orders with a minimum of $1500/order.