Fly Tying
Ashby

Graham's Camel spider

For some time now Graham has been working on a Camel spider. This spider imaged after those I caught while in the desert and was able to get some pics to you guys. Somewhere along the line Graham decided to tie this thing for me. When I first heard that he was doing this (tying the spider) I was stoked. Then when I heard that he was tying it for me, I didn't quite know what to say, and still don't. This is truly one of those pieces that you can say a pic does it no justice because it doesn't. It is the most amazing display, and fly I have ever seen before. You can sit for hours and just look at this whole set up and have no clue as to how he did any on it, and then when you are done looking, you can only be glad he did. Graham you have set yourself in a class of tiers that only few have managed to reach. I'm so thankful for your thoughtfulness, and the gift. Thank you so much once again. For those of you that have not (and those that have) seen this piece of work, here are two pics of it. I hope you all like it, I know I love it.

Ashby

post-3929-1166337801_thumb.jpg

post-3929-1166337856_thumb.jpg

I cant describe it other than WOW.

I think that is a sign of a true artist right there. Sure it isnt a painting ot peice of pottery, but art none the less. Absolutly fantastic.

Hey Ashby,

I'm so glad the spider made it to you safe and sound! I was worried about the display holding up while being shipped. I really didn't want to hot glue the spider into place, so a thin piece of brass wire was bent into a U shape and used to pin the hook eye(s) at the rear of the abdomen onto the foam. I did put a tiny drop of flexament on the front left claw where it touches the rock. So if you ever want to take the fly out, it would be easy and wouldn't get messed up.

I'm also very happy that you like the fly and display!!! I took my time and only worked on it when I had time to really get into the project mentally, basically when I knew I wouldn't be disturbed with household chores. The legs took a while, probably because that spider has so many of them..lol.. I had the front pinchers and head done before my brownie trip last month, but had to set it aside while fishing flies for the trip were made. I guess even back then I knew Christmas would be my deadline.

Anyway, I feel proud to have tyed a fly for an American hero such as you!!! Thank you for serving our country, for your courage, for being such a good family man, and a good friend.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Graham

Here's a couple pics I took before sending it...

post-992-1166398983_thumb.jpg

post-992-1166398926_thumb.jpg

Here's a couple of earlier pics...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

While deployed in Desert Storm my cousin was bite by one of those beasts. He told me he was sleeping and felt a strange sensation on his face that woke him up. His hand went to scratch the itch and felt it move. He jumped up and that spider leaped across the room. He grabbed his Berreta pistol and wanted to plug the critter but it kept leaping so fast he couldn't get a chance to squash it. He was layed up in the infirmary for a few days from that bite with swelling, fever and fatigue! He also has a bite scar as a memento of the encounter.

Camel spiders have a numbing agent in their venom so the host doesn't even feel the the fangs penetrate. They have to be classifed as one of the most furocius insects on the planet.

Awesome, incredible work on the camel spider and its presentation (setting), Graham you have an artists eye. It must be unbelievable to see in person.

Glad that you got home safe, Ashby. Best wishes during the holidays and in the new year.

One surprising thing is how fast links spread across the internet, like the neatorama link Green Acres posted. Seems like there are sites that subscribe to link-services that provide fresh daily interesting links, so some of the pages, like neatorama and makezine change daily. I just can't belive how many links have poped up in the past few days, all over the world, I have tens of thousands people on my site since last Saturday, and it keeps getting busier.

I find it interesting reading forums where my flies are being talked about by people who don't fish...lol..

like this site... http://www.metafilter.com/mefi/57121

I kind of like this link...

http://www.animateclay.com/index.php?name=...cle&sid=534

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.