Fly Tying
fanslerfisher

Dubbing Help

I have been fly tying for about a week now and I have tied a pretty large assortment of flies (most of them not too pretty). Anyway I have bought a little bit of supplies for tying: chenille, hackle, flashabou, and dubbing. I used the dubbing to tie a few flies and then I found a site on the internet that said you can create your own dubbing using a blender or coffee grinder and animal hair or kintting yarns. My problem is that I havn't been able to find step by step directions for the process. If anyone had any directions or suggestions for materials to make dubbing with it would be appreciated.

P.S.

I tie flies for bluegill, bass, and crappie because thats about all fish I have around the area (I live in southwestern Iowa). I would also be nice to know what kind of flies are good for the fish I listed and a list of some general tying materials I can buy for those flies.

Thanks,

Logan

the most common way I know of is by taking a bit of hares mask. clip it right next to the hide, and get a bunch of it. put it in your grinder and blend away. It will give it a nice fine chop, as well as that nice raspy look we all want out of dubbing. I think there was also a way to mix underhair all together, and soak it somehow. It gives you a nice bunch of hair as well suitable for dubbing also.

Most folks use inexpensive coffee grinders ($10-$15), i am only guessing but i dont think you should use Mom's blender without asking her first.

As for step by step process

1. cut hair or fur from thie hide and/or cut yarn into small lengths.

2. Put in grinder and grind together.

Most of it is trial and error to get a dubbing mix you are happy with.

conehead had a pretty good post last year on the subject, i will see if i can find it.

Don't scare us like that again. Always check with wife/girlfriend/mother before liberating any utensil for tying. I know; maybe some day Ill show you the scars. :crying:

ya stay away from the blender. Hey guys, if ya want margaritas later, dont go there... :hyst: . Just kidding. reminds me of when I started tying. Them nice smokey white balls, um I think women(mom) call em pearls, or something like that. Anyways....they dont like seeing em used for dumbell eyes on flies. Uh lets just say stay away from the womens jewelry boxes, as tempting as they may be. Trust me, I know. :wallbash: like crotalus said, 10-15$ ya got yourself a good coffee grinder thats all yours for blending the dubbing.

here's another method

take whatever material you wish to make into dubbing (keep a recipe for each color if you want to dupilcate the shade)

if hares mask or natural for, cut off the pelt and throw it into a clean but empty jar with a tight lid (like a peanut butter jar)...add water , shake it until the fur mixes thouroughly then pour the remains onto a common paper coffee filter... it'll be ready for use after it dries

you can do the same thing and add whatever you want to the fur...but it has to be in a stsate that will separate when shaken n th ejar

carded wool needs to be cut into 1/4"-12/" lengths then untwisted..etc.

it'll make your momma happy

Add just a touch, not even a drop, maybe a small drop on the end of a toothpick of dawn dishwashing detergent to break the surface tension of some furs. Shouldn't even make suds in the jar when shaken, maybe just a little froth.

-E

allright, ill give it a try (hope my mom doesnt care about using her blender), thanks

DO NOT USE MOM'S BLENDER!!!!!!. You WILL be on the OUTSIDE looking in. Get your own it is about 20.00 or less

Sorry no. what I have is a tool in my kit and looking for it on the net, I found out that it was called a dubbing twister. Randy :dunno:

The dubbing twister is a tool for making dubbing loops, a really good way to apply dubbing for a "buggy" look. Some dubbing tools have a weight at the bottom to help when you spin the thread. I'm not aware of any tutorials here on the forum about making dubbing loops, but there are quite a few floating around on the web. Maybe someone can help with a more specific link.